Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandpaper hot tub?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sandpaper hot tub?

Hi All,

This is my first post.
    I noticed that my hot tub is feeling like sandpaper all of a sudden...
    Is this calcium scaling?
    If so what's the best way to deal with this?

I think I let the pH get too high.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sandpaper hot tub?

Quote Originally Posted by roberto1
    Hi All,

This is my first post.
    I noticed that my hot tub is feeling like sandpaper all of a sudden...
    Is this calcium scaling?
    If so what's the best way to deal with this?

I think I let the pH get too high.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Do you have a good test kit? That is essential if you want to take control of the water.

It almost certainly is Calcium Scale. You need to get the pH down, and possibly adjust some other levels, brush it with a steel brush, and hope it dissolves. If it's really bad, you may need to drain it and have a pro acid-wash it or sandblast it.

Start reading Pool School. It's the best place for newbies (Welcome, by the way ) and it will answer questions you didn't know to ask.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I don't know if I'd use a steel brush on it, a spa is much smaller than a pool so I'd say drain it an acid wash it before using abrasives. Naturally first try fixing the levels to see if that works.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    I don't know if I'd use a steel brush on it, a spa is much smaller than a pool so I'd say drain it an acid wash it before using abrasives. Naturally first try fixing the levels to see if that works.
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
    Is it worth while adjusting the pH, and other levels before draining and doing the acid wash?

Cheers,
    Rob

5. Back To Top    #5

I had similar happen with a rough spa at my last house. Instead of using a big brush, I bought some waterproof fine sandpaper and rubbed everything down while sitting in it ... ended up smoother than when it was first built
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

yeah, try adjusting the chemicals first. If it doesn't loosen up the grit feeling then try a nylon brush. If that doesn't work you can opt for a metal brush or drain it and acid wash it. My biggest fear was damaging the finish by leaving it hazy or something if you sanded it or brushed it too hard.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

What material is the tub, and what are all of the chemical readings?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Not sure about the kind of plaster the OP has, but the materials that my plaster contractor gave me from WetEdge instructed me to use a steel brush for the life of my pool. I've been using it for over a year now with no obvious wear or tear on the Luna Quartz finish.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm thinking that this might be an acrylic tub. If it is acrylic, then you don't want to use anything abrasive.

10. Back To Top    #10

Dude, thats the exfoliation FEATURE, not a problem!

But seriously, gotta know what the material of the spa is to tell you the right thing.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

11. Back To Top    #11

My hot tub is an Artic spa. I'll find out what it's made of. Just heading to bed now. I'll be back tomorrow with more info. My pH was over 8.2, I'll have to look up the other readings, brain fried at the moment. LOL on the 'hot tub feature' that made my night.
    Cheers,
    Rob

12. Back To Top    #12

Gets rid of all the calluses on your butt.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

13. Back To Top    #13

How did you know I have calluses on by butt?

14. Back To Top    #14

I didnt... but now we all do.

15. Back To Top    #15

OK smart....butt.
    I tested my pH 2 days ago it was over 8.2 so I adjusted it down to approx 7.2; T/A was 120, CH 150.
    Today I tested the pH again it was up to 8.0 or so again (I am adjusting it down as I type) and T/A was 90, CH 150.

Suggestions?

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh and the tub is made of:
    fiberglass reinforced, Lucite® cast acrylic shell.

TIA,
    Rob

17. Back To Top    #17

TIA,
    Rob
    In that case, I retract my answer. No steel brush.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, no steel brush, any other suggestions on the spa chemistry side?

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: Re: Sandpaper hot tub?

TIA,
    Rob
    I also take back my sandpaper suggestion. My hot tub was plaster like the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

This is most likely calcium carbonate (calcite) scale. With acrylic, you don't want to use anything abrasive. There is probably scale all through the equipment and plumbing as well. If your fill water is lower in calcium, then you should refill to get the calcium level down.

Then, turn the heat way down, because calcium carbonate dissolves better in cold water. However, not so cold as to risk freezing, if that's a possibility. Next, maintain the pH at 7.2 for a while, and the calcium should begin to dissolve. By maintaining the pH at 7.2 (but, not lower), the TA (Total Alkalinity) should begin to drop, which will help the scale begin to dissolve.

Ideally, you want the TA and calcium as low as possible. Distilled or deionized water would be great if it were available. You can drop the TA by lowering the pH to 7.2 and then aerating by running the blower and jets. Don't allow the pH to drop below 7.2. Keep the heater off until the scale is dissolved. Hot water reduces the ability of the water to dissolve scale, and you could burn out your heater element because it can overheat when it has a thick coat of scale.

After a few days, you can drain the tub and refill. If there is still some scale, you can use some distilled white vinegar, or a product such as Descale-It Pool & Spa Cleaner* (Contains Hydroxyacetic Acid (Glycolic Acid))(or other descaler formulated to be safe to use on acrylic) to remove the remaining scale.

Maintain the CSI at less than 0.0 from then on.

*Note: Always check with the tub manufacturer before using any chemical product on your tub to ensure that it is safe to use. Also, try a test spot to make sure that it does not damage or discolor the material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast