Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vermiculite math - Downunder.

1. Back To Top    #1

Vermiculite math - Downunder.

Hello.

We are putting in a small AGP (inground) and I am finding it a little difficult to get an idea on our vermiculite requirements. Pretty much all the examples are in imperial and it's been 20 something years since I attended school .

The pool is a Lap shape and is 5.2m by 3.0m - uniform depth. For 2 inches (5cm) I get as follows.

300x520x5 = 780000cm

Divide by 1000 to get litres

780 litres

Divide by 100 (100 litre bags) gives me approx 8 100 litre bags.

Am I on the right track. I know that the cement will take volume but I have no idea what happens to the volume of everything when mixed. The problem for me is that I cannot buy it locally so I need to pick it up when I visit the nearest city. I have found a PDF that suggests a 1 to 6-7 type ratio (cement - vermiculite).

Any help would be appreciated.
    7400 gallon, IG vinyl, .75HP, Cartridge, Zodiac Chlor Perfect chlorinator. Almost finished building :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vermiculite math - Downunder.

Your math is correct. I get 700 liters for a oval pool and 800 liters for a rectangular pool. If you're mixing at a 1:6 ratio you'll need 8 bags of verm and 200 liters of cement. I'd buy 10 bags of verm and 400 liters of cement just to be safe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your response.

I have spoken to the two suppliers we are looking at purchasing from and they both suggest sand only as a base. I think it is not all that common to use this type of mix down here in Australia. Most of the installs I see on the net are the large bolt together steel wall with deep end type pool (not available here ) but I presume this mix is ok for the standard above ground pool install? My partner installed one a few years back with sand and she made the comment that even though they compacted they still had movement underneath and I really want to avoid that as this pool will be buried with decking and I would hate to have to go back.

Regards Duncan
    7400 gallon, IG vinyl, .75HP, Cartridge, Zodiac Chlor Perfect chlorinator. Almost finished building :)

4. Back To Top    #4

Sand is the common base but since you're burying it Verm might be a better option.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!! Mate!

Please check out this and let me know if you need more assistance
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)