Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - Need some assistance

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - Need some assistance

Hello from Georgia! I have recently finished my pool. It is a 43,000 gal plaster pool with ozone for primary disinfection, Jandy DE filter. I have had water in the pool about a month and have a chemical question. My PB recommended that I use the Instalink (by Lamotte) to enter in my analysis and get recommendations for chemical addition. I have been cross referencing the results I get from Instalink with PoolCalculator - it seems they are different. The following are my numbers from today:

1. ALK = 120
    2. PH = 7.8
    3. Free CL = 0.87
    4. Total CL = 0.87
    5. Hardness = 214
    6. CYA = 22

It should be noted that my ozone is not yet installed. Based on the Instalink site - it recommends adding around 6ibs of CYA. It has all of my other analysis in range. Can someone give me some feedback on my numbers and if they are ok?

Second question - With ozone as my primary disinfectant - what is the ideal CL level to run for pool residual?

Thanks in advance for your help
    45000 IG unite pool with Jandy LRZ Heater, Polaris 280, 1.5 HP pump, Jandy DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - Need some assistance

Ozone won't do as a primary disinfectant. You need to maintain safe chlorine levels in the pool. Do yourself a favor and spend some time reading Pool School.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.

I assume this is an outdoor pool.

Your test results look like digital readouts from a strip which can't be trusted. That's one of the problems in trying to maintain your FC that low (and why ozone is a poor choice for primary sanitation)'s virtually impossible to test for it and to manage it properly
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP

Just to reiterate what's been said above, you can not trust ozone as your primary sanitizer, especially if this is an outdoor pool. Read through pool school, especially the below article in the further reading section:

You mentioned the ozone has not yet been installed, if this is an indoor pool, ozone can be helpful as a secondary system, but if this is an outdoor pool, you would be much better served by using a SWG as a chlorine source. Currently there are only 3 EPA approved sanitizers for pool use...Chlorine, Bromine and Baquacil (biguanide).
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator