my brothers sand filter

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
My brother is buying a house with a intex pool with I think a sand filter. I'll get a pic today to help figure out what kind. There is one intake from the pool, one hose to waste, and one return back to the pool. There is a valve on the top with various positions, Filter, filter to waste, backwash, backwash to waste, there are a couple more I cant remember at the moment. Turning it will send water out the waste line but it is always clean. I have a feeling the sand may be channeled. Around the valve there are approx 6 bolts holding it on, there are approx 25 around the canister holding the two halvs together. To see inside would you remove the 6 bolts? Were going by there today and I wanted to help him get it filtering. If this description is too lame I'll have better info tonight to clarify things.

Does the water come out clean out the waste line no matter what setting? Because it will come out clean out of the waste line when set to filter to waste/rinse, and waste. It will usually only come out dirty on backwash since that is the self-cleaning setting.

X-PertPool said:
Does the water come out clean out the waste line no matter what setting? Because it will come out clean out of the waste line when set to filter to waste/rinse, and waste. It will usually only come out dirty on backwash since that is the self-cleaning setting.

Thanks for the info, I typed a reply a couple hrs ago but forgot to hit the submit button. you are right, when turned to backwash the water came out brown.

Here are the test results from today: fc 10, cc 2.5, tc 12.5, ph 7.2, ta 150, ch 160, cya 0, temp 52.

I am surprised the cya was at 0, I added a little too much chlorine but I think it will be gone pretty quick. He's not living there yet so this was just a temporary to reduce the algae, well go through the shock process soon. Right now its a 40 min round trip drive so it makes shocking virtually impossible. I guess we could throw some tablets in to increase the cya and keep some cl in there.

Pool need attention to some details, I don't know much about these intex pools. Here are some pics of equip and pool.

I forgot to look at the pressure before I back washed, but if the gauge is right it was 5 psi after. It took approx 1 minuet for the water to change from milky brown, to clear. Didn't take the top off today.

The cl was 0 and the ph was 8.2+ when I first checked, so I got the ph level 1st.

Attachments

• chris\'s pool 2-12-12 001 (Medium).jpg
    chris\'s pool 2-12-12 001 (Medium).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 114
  • chris\'s pool 2-12-12 002 (Medium).jpg
    chris\'s pool 2-12-12 002 (Medium).jpg
    131 KB · Views: 114
  • chris\'s pool 2-12-12 003 (Medium).jpg
    chris\'s pool 2-12-12 003 (Medium).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 114
It needs a little TLC and a lot of chlorine. If you're confident in the CYA reading it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a floater in there set wide open. It won't be shocking it, but it'll keep the growth down and will add some CYA. That way when you start shocking it will take a little less to accomplish it.

Brown water coming out the backwash is a good thing. It means the filter is working. I'd go ahead and backwash it and put it back in filter and let it run.

bobby1017 said:
last pic, this needs some attention, I'm surprised it hasn't failed. The hose from the filter is not supported except by a bungee cord.
My neighbor has this same pool and uses multiple bungie cords to multiple anchor points to control the direction of this outlet. This has worked fine for him the last 2 years. I think frogabog might have had a better solution, but I can't seem to find the post...others might as well.

Bama Rambler said:
It needs a little TLC and a lot of chlorine. If you're confident in the CYA reading it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a floater in there set wide open. It won't be shocking it, but it'll keep the growth down and will add some CYA. That way when you start shocking it will take a little less to accomplish it.

Brown water coming out the backwash is a good thing. It means the filter is working. I'd go ahead and backwash it and put it back in filter and let it run.

The test in the tf-100 didn't even hide the dot at all. I was surprised the cya was 0 but I guess either someone drained and refilled somewhat recently or they have always used liquid cl, I think the first option is more likely. I didn't see a floater anywhere though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
bobby1017 said:
last pic, this needs some attention, I'm surprised it hasn't failed. The hose from the filter is not supported except by a bungee cord.
My neighbor has this same pool and uses multiple bungie cords to multiple anchor points to control the direction of this outlet. This has worked fine for him the last 2 years. I think frogabog might have had a better solution, but I can't seem to find the post...others might as well.

I guess there's not a "factory support" for it. We'll figure something out or maybe someone will post something. another question, where would a vacuum be connected?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.