Propane heater question

I called the original propane company back and asked. It's $580 for them to deliver and 1st year lease on two tanks (which is the smallest they'll do, not sure the size but they know my use is just a spa). It's $860 if I want that to include testing the system. I guess I need to call some more companies!

Where are you? I'm in Massachusetts and my whole set up was around $500. That was delivery of two, 125 gallon tanks, a 2 stage regulator system, 25 feet of vinyl covered half inch copper line run along the foundation to the heater, hook up, and permits. The gas was extra obviously, but the complete install was $500 and change. The 1st fill up satisfied the one year use to get the tamks for free. I have to use 2 tanks worth (250 gallons) per year to not pay for the tanks. Otherwise, its $40 per year per tank for the lease.

Mary Contrary said:
(which is the smallest they'll do, not sure the size but they know my use is just a spa).

One more time :mrgreen:
It's not the size of the body of water your trying to heat that dicates tank size, (for the most part). Its the size of the heater.

Ah, right, I did tell them the heater size.

Your cost sounds similar. For $580 I think they bring the two tanks full and set them up, so that includes the gas. I think it's $36/year for the tank rental rather than thrown in with a minimum gas purchase, though.

I'm in Phoenix.

I called another propane company and turns out they were the ones that used to fill this tank for the homeowner that used the pool & spa, 6 years ago. They came a few days ago and checked it all and replaced the regulator and looked at the heater and lines and deemed it all fine. Today they came and filled the tank. It is 125 gallon.

I was thrilled to hear the tank and heater were fine, in his opinion. He said these older Raypaks work forever. But I think I do need a heater service call because it fires up and puts out some hot water for a while but then it stops, like its thermostat is off or something. Or maybe it's flow problems or a dirty filter or something. The 'call for heat' light is lit, so maybe it's not the thermostat? Or maybe that light is on whenever the heater is on? I don't know. I also don't understand why when it's not putting out hot water, the heater is heating (or there is heat radiating from it), and the gas lines are hissing like gas is flowing, so how could the water possibly not be heating?

The propane serviceman suggested I set all the suctions and returns to the spa when I was heating it. I'm pretty sure the spa skimmer line is clogged so I guess it's sucking entirely from the spa floor drain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.