Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting to see green, is my SWG not working?

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting to see green, is my SWG not working?

I have 2 questions. I have a 16x32 Salt water in ground pool. Water temp is ~59 degrees. Am I right to suspect the SWG is not working? Am I getting any chlorine in the pool? Salt level is ~3700 but I am beginning to see green algae on the side of the pool. What should I do?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Starting to see green, is my SWG not working?

Your SWG probably is not working since the water is so cold. Most SWG need a temp closer to 70 degrees to generate chlorine. You can use liquid chlorine until the water is consistently warm enough for the SWG to function correctly.

Since you are seeing green now, you will need to complete the shock process and get things cleaned up. Read defeating algae and
    how to shock your pool for directions on the shock process.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum. Posting a set of test results will probably indicate your FC is too low. As zea3 says, if your pool is green, you will need to shock.

Of course don't try to do it with the SWG but by following the articles she mentioned and using bleach as you chlorine source
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!