Very Large Residential Pool Help?!?!?

Feb 11, 2012
Well I am just about to pull the trigger on a large pool for my home.

53' x 93'
Pool surface area 2420 sqft
approx 95,000 gal

I have multiple bids in hand, however there seems to be so many differences of opinion on salt versus ozone for a pool this size as well as gunite versus shotcrete. There is also the in floor cleaning with or without pressurized cleaning question.

Pricing is all over the map as well. It seems everything I read or people I talk with don't deal much with residential pools this size.

I would appreciate any feedback. I dont mind spending a little bit more up front to save on long term maintenance costs. I cant help but get the feeling from some of the pool builders that they are trying to sell me more than I need. Maybe not, just feels that way.

I will be happy to post some pictures as I get going in a month or so. It's going to be an awesome pool.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Well, a pool 53' x 93' would be a surface area of over 4900 feet and a gallonage of somewhere North of 165,000. Let's get the size (what depth by the way) all figured out and go from there.

Sorry, didn't clarify.

I have two islands inside the pool. One contains the spa and tanning area. The other a swim up bar. The islands create two, semi lazy rivers.

Beach entry to 9' deep end.

Features - 40' slide, grato, tree swing, kids splash zone.

Best calculation was 90k-110k gallons.

Now that we have a guestimate on the size.
Where is this monster gonna be located?
And is it an outdoor or indoor pool?

My initial thought is to go with an swcg. For a pool that size you'll need a commercial system. I'd PM poolsean and run it by him for an opinion.
Ozone won't be any help in an outdoor pool.

The pool will be outside and located in north Texas. I have a lot of kids and worked hard to finally be able to build somehting of this scale for us (figure I won't be making it out to any resorts in the near future). I don't want to struggle with maintenance costs. The upside is, I have a lot of extra labor as they get older to help ;-)

Thanks for the response, I'll message poolsean.

I agree with Bama Rambler's idea of commercial equipment. Your folowing statement causes me to pause:
kennethsmith272 said:
I don't want to struggle with maintenance costs.
...a pool this size with that much going on seems like it may take a lot of constant maintenance/money. Definitely look into commercial equipment and monitoring. If you go through with this, I can not imagine how much this is going to cost you :blah:...however, please invite me over to swim :mrgreen:

Welcome to TFP!

That's a big residential pool :shock: I'm sure the kids will love it when it's done. As bama mentioned, ozone is not particulary helpful in an outdoor pool. I would also agree you should be looking into a commercial set-up for sanitization/filtration. Unfortunately you mention not wanting to stuggle with maintenance costs, however the larger the pool, the more maintenance costs you will incur. Building a pool is a huge investment (as you know) but maintaining it is also something that should be budgeted, not just from a $ perspective, but also a time investment. Please do post pics when the dig begins...we'd love to see the progress and help you along the way :goodjob:

Is there a rule of thumb check for annual costs to maintain a pool/gallon? Excluding heating costs as those would be arbitrary. Seems that would be the best way to evaluate how good you are doinig with your chemicals or lack of. Also assuming that these costs would vary by region.

I don't know that there's a rule of thumb on how expensive it is because of the disparity of costs between the different areas of the country, but with a properly sized and functioning salt water system it shouldn't take a lot of time to maintain. Vacuuming is going to be your biggest time consumer, And electric costs is where the most of your expense will be and with a pool that size it's gonna be a quite large chunk.

kennethsmith272 said:
figure I won't be making it out to any resorts in the near future

Man, you aren't gonna have to with such an awesome pool/spa/lazy river/swim up bar/slide. Your gonna have people coming to your resort!! Looking forward to some pics for this, best of luck with your project :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like a cool build! I wonder if it would be cheaper to go with commercial stuff or just double up on the equipment (e.g. double the number of IC60 salt cells, 2x filters, etc)? I would think the appropriately rated commercial stuff would be quite a bit more expensive than residential equipment, and servicing commercial equipment would also add to the maintenance costs. Double the number of skimmers (probably a minimum of 4 for this size pool), with two separate vacuum lines running off of two IntelliFlo or equivalent pumps to two separate filters. The other advantage of going this route is that failure of one of the pumps or filters means the pool doesn't immediately turn green, as the other can run and keep the pool limping along until repair.

Boy, I wouldn't consider heating a pool that big. Besides, here in N Texas we don't need heat, we need cooling! :) I've wondered if a solar system might extend the swim season a bit into September/October, but really can't see it being worthwhile for an extra 3-4 weeks of swim time. For what it's worth, I took my heater out and scrapped it at the recycle center.

With my experience at half that size, a salt pool and big sand filter is the maintenance free solution for me. I went the whole swim season without needing to backflush a single time. I'm not the expert here, the guys above are, but I'd say you need a minimum of two of the filters like mine, the 600 lb Tritons. I do know they have a commercial version, but other than it being black I don't know what the difference is.

The comment above regarding sweeping being the biggest maintenance issue is spot on. I have a robot, but even my pool is really too big for it. I have no idea what they have for pools the size you are contemplating, seems you'd need to run it at one side one day and the other then next, but I don't know how it would be limited in range on each day. And if you have a lot of trees, make sure you include some sort of solution for leaves in your build, fall isn't a fun time here at my house.

I would recommend at least two filter and pump systems at the bare minimum, leaning towards three. A auto robot cleaner may not even be possible, dont know until I see some blueprints or drawings. The cords are only so long. I would think you may want a commercial vac system, self contained pump and stainer, filter setup. Good luck make sure your builder has done something like this before, a project this big is a bad experience waiting to happen if they aren't used to this size project.

swimcmp said:
Good luck make sure your builder has done something like this before, a project this big is a bad experience waiting to happen if they aren't used to this size project.

That was one of my first thoughts. My PB has done a great job so far, and I'd recommend him to anyone, but I'm not sure about something that size. Find out the biggest project the prospective PB has done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.