Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair freeze guard overriding heater/spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair freeze guard overriding heater/spa

Is there a way to truly disable the freeze guard for the Pentair system? Current air temp is ~30 degrees. I've tried calibrating the air thermostat to 44 (and higher) but freeze guard stays on. Issue is that I"m trying to heat spa and the guard causes the pump to cycle on and off so heater cycles on for a minute and off for a minute. Pool company says "nothing can be done" but that essentially makes my spa unusable in cold weather...which is when I would want to use it.

Tried searching for similar experiences across this forum and elsewhere but haven't come across a solve. Thanks in advance.
    BoB Cols, Oh 18X32 hybrid pool RheemHP,Pentair pump and filter, Jandy Deck Jets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair freeze guard overriding heater/spa

Which controller do you have (SunTouch, easytouch, intellitouch)?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Easytouch. I tried using remote and directly on the outside panel as well. Update: Temperatures warmed up enough to shut off the freeze guard so things ended up working out today but still wondering what I would have to do if warming didn't take care of the issue. Thanks!
    BoB Cols, Oh 18X32 hybrid pool RheemHP,Pentair pump and filter, Jandy Deck Jets.

4. Back To Top    #4

you can program it disabled on a intellitouch 9+3 (what I have). I dont know about yours. in system setup. Do you have screenlogic software?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

5. Back To Top    #5

The term "screenlogic software" is new to me so not sure if I have it or not.

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of pump do you have? Even with the freeze protection turned off on the Easytouch, some Pentair pumps have a freeze protection built right into the pump.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

7. Back To Top    #7

It's a pentair pump (don't have ready access to the model info from here unfortunately). From what I've read elsewhere, that's probably the issue. It would explain the cycling on/off as opposed to the constant on that the freeze guard from the "system", not the pump.

If that's the case, probably nothing I can do but very frustrating to essentially have a spa that can't be used (without significant" calibration-tinkering") in cold weather.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac View Post
    you can program it disabled on a intellitouch 9+3 (what I have). I dont know about yours. in system setup. Do you have screenlogic software?
    How do I program an "override cutoff" for when I want constant spa operation without it cycling to the pool and pushing cold water in?
    Dig Date 4.25.16 -IG 33x17-Gunite (16,700 gal 4-5-4) -8 ft Raised Spa 46 sqft- Stonescapes Midnight Blue- Okla Flag coping -750 sqft Paver Decking- 4 Ton Mossrock Cascading Waterfall-10ft weeping wall- Jandy 1hp water feature pump- Dual Bubbler on ledge- Pentair VS- Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520- Pentair Easy Touch 8 function- Polaris 280 with Jandy Booster- Mastertemp 400k- Pentair Intellichlor Salt- 3 Pentair Intellibright LED

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I understand the problem, but I don't advise that you disable freeze protection. My advice if you are going to disable is to remember to enable once you are done using the spa EACH time. You will need to disable the pool AND the cleaner.

Easytouch:
    menu/settings/circuit function. Then scroll to the item you wish to disable freeze protection, hit select twice/scroll to yes or no/hit select/ then back out of the menu hitting the menu button 3 times.

If you need to do this, that means temps are low enough to activate the freeze protection. This means YOU MUST re-activate freeze protection. I cant stress this enough. Even a medium freeze can turn out to be very expensive. Anyone that has had freeze damage can agree, this can effect more than just the plumbing. Heater headers, some filter tanks, UV vessels, just to name a few.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.