Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to drain outdoor island/sink

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to drain outdoor island/sink

I am in the process of planning an outdoor bar/island under my deck and am trying to figure out where/how to drain the sink. My back yard sits below the first level of the house, but I have a bathroom in the basement with a ejector pump to pump up to main sewage drain. Has anyone cut out a section of basment floor and ran that way or what are other options?
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

2. Back To Top    #2
    Nashville, TN

Re: Where to drain outdoor island/sink

How does storm drainage get out of the area? I assume that you have some sort of positive drainage away. I have my sink just draining into a gravel area under my deck, as a temporary measure of course. I just don't use it for much except the occassional washing of hands and getting a glass of water. This is surely not up to code in your area, but I plan to plumb it into my sanitary some day. I have also heard of others that have created some sort of underground gravel leaching pit of sorts, but I am not familiar with the details. Digging up the floor to get into your basement plumbing sounds pretty extreme, but I'm sure it could be done.

16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

I think I'd dig a hole and bury a plastic barrel with a sump pump on a float switch to pump the water up to a drain line.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

why not a french drain

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mount Airy, Maryland

I did what JohnT indicated for an outdoor shower/sink. I took a 55 gallon plastic trash can and buried underground completely and filled it up with drain stone. I drain the shower in the drum. To-date after a year, I have not seen any ground water. I did put a bunch of holes in the trashcan throughout the sides and bottom for drainage. It works great.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit