Pool Evaporation in GA

Sep 1, 2011
I recently had a pool built it is 33x17 in ground shotcrete pool depth is 3 1/2-5-4. When it was finished I noticed that it was losing water pretty rapidly 1/2-1 inch per day in December. They found leaks in 2 returns, they fixed them and no leaks there with a dye test now. I filled my pool last Saturday and now a week later it is down about an inch. What is a normal evaporation rate? Do you think I have a small leak somewhere or is this normal?

Jamie, do a bucket test. Take a bucket, with water in it, put it in the pool (usually on a step, but blocks or something might be needed). Take a majic marker and mark the water level inside and outside. If the pool level drops faster than the water in the bucket, you have a leak.

Are you using a cover? It will reduce evaporation.

I haven't paid attention to the humidity levels lately, and we have been shy on rain, but it seems dry. That coupled with wind, could account for your water loss. Honestly, I've never kept up with the water loss on mine, but a half to one inch does not sound to be out of realm of reality in a week (July/August).

A map of annual pan evaporation rates shows that Georgia is between 50 and 60" per year. That is around 0.15" per day. Remember that this is for unheated water and an average for the year. The average day/night temperature in Atlanta in February is around 48ºF and is probably close to pool water temperature. Winter evaporation rates would be lower than summer so I would be surprised if it's higher than 0.1" per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.