Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Evaporation in GA

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Evaporation in GA

I recently had a pool built it is 33x17 in ground shotcrete pool depth is 3 1/2-5-4. When it was finished I noticed that it was losing water pretty rapidly 1/2-1 inch per day in December. They found leaks in 2 returns, they fixed them and no leaks there with a dye test now. I filled my pool last Saturday and now a week later it is down about an inch. What is a normal evaporation rate? Do you think I have a small leak somewhere or is this normal?
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Metro Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Pool Evaporation in GA

Jamie, do a bucket test. Take a bucket, with water in it, put it in the pool (usually on a step, but blocks or something might be needed). Take a majic marker and mark the water level inside and outside. If the pool level drops faster than the water in the bucket, you have a leak.

Are you using a cover? It will reduce evaporation.

I haven't paid attention to the humidity levels lately, and we have been shy on rain, but it seems dry. That coupled with wind, could account for your water loss. Honestly, I've never kept up with the water loss on mine, but a half to one inch does not sound to be out of realm of reality in a week (July/August).
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

3. Back To Top    #3

Montgomery, TX

i think an inch a week is normal evaporation. i average 1/8 inch per day in winter and 1/4 inch per day in the heat of summer for evap.

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

A map of annual pan evaporation rates shows that Georgia is between 50 and 60" per year. That is around 0.15" per day. Remember that this is for unheated water and an average for the year. The average day/night temperature in Atlanta in February is around 48ºF and is probably close to pool water temperature. Winter evaporation rates would be lower than summer so I would be surprised if it's higher than 0.1" per day.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5
    Baton Rouge, LA

Chem geek cool link!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here