Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not priming and NO filter pressure. HELP !

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not priming and NO filter pressure. HELP !

I vacuumed my old pool the other day. Now I cant get the pump to maintain prime , it seems to surge. It almost fills the pump pot , then bang , it's empty. And there is no pressure in the DE filter . As the pump fills with water it surges, almost fills then seems to shoot the contents of the basket, pump pot to the filter , air comes out the bleed valve, then it seems to suck back in. I don't believe that there are any suction leaks or clogged lines. I did find some things in the impeller but clean now! When I turn the pump off and attempt to open the lid it is in a vacuum. Next step is to inspect the Hayward Multiport valve and inside the DE filter.The return lines just keep pumping lots of air in the pool . Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks !!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump not priming and NO filter pressure. HELP !

Almost surely you have a suction side leak....somewhere between the pump and the skimmer.

Is the pool full enough so the skimmer doesn't suck air? sometimes a stuck weir will let a skimmer suck air, too.

Another common place is the pump strainer basket lid not being on tight or the o-ring being defective.

It is not your multiport nor your filter....they're on the pressure side.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your input. This pool has one of those round floating weir in the skimmer basket. I have both out. Water level is high! Yes, I agree it all points to suction side leak, however for some reason I trust the old "1 and quarter copper plumbing. I still am not positive the my suction line is 100% open. Just one pipe coming out of the ground to pump, it appears that it goes to the skimmer and main drain. Snake, jetter ? I've already tried the rubber drain king in both directions.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If your pump strainer basket suddenly empties of water, that water is replaced with.....air. Once you figure where that air is being sucked into the system, it will stop. The piping can certainly be the problem but it seldom is. It is far more likely to be the lid, a valve or a broken joint......all above ground.

Are you saying your suction line INTO the pump is 1.25"? That's VERY small.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PVpools
    I vacuumed my old pool the other day. Now I cant get the pump to maintain prime
    Sounds like it could also be a clogged impeller and/or suction line. Either can prevent a pump from priming.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Try the WET RAG trick. Use an expendible dish towel, because it may get dirty. Get it dripping wet. With the pump running, wrap the towel around the different fittings and glue joints on the suction side. If there's a leak at the joint, it will (theoretically) suck in the water and alleviate the air leak. That's your source of suction side leak. It works MOST of the time.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks All ! Yes the suction( Copper pipe) line is 1" an1/4 , very small I know . At this point I'm almost sure that I have a partially plugged suction line. At the equipment pad there is a 1and 1/4 copper pipe coming from the pool , it is connected via a PVC coupler to the pump, so very little above ground plumbing. I'm presuming that line goes to the main drain and skimmer, no valves! I have tried the drain king tool in both directions. BUT, there is no easy way to plug off main drain. How in the **** am I ever going to get this line unplugged ? Any ideas ? Thanks !!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Flush the suction backwards from the pump to the skimmer. Remove the pump basket lid, wrap a wet rag around the hose and stuff into the suction line going into the pump and turn on the hose. If that doesn't work, you could try a Drain King and do the same thing.

Also, while you have the pump basket lid off, remove the pump basket, and reach into the pump inlet at the bottom and see if there is anything stuck in there.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again for all the input. I removed the pump yesterday, tore it apart, checked the impeller, it's free and clear. Now I have easy access to the one and only 1" 1/4 copper suction line. So me next step is to attempt to flush it out backwards. I already tried drain kink thing, no luck! Compressed air, jetter, snake? I'll see what happens.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Have you tried back washing your filter?
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Have you tried back washing your filter?
    Since OP's system is sucking air in, it's coming from the suction side and I doubt the filter is involved. That said, having a clean, operational filter is ALWAYS a good thing.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

WHEN YOU drain king it, do you get water back into the pool through the skimmer? you can plug your other suction outlets with expanding test plugs from lowes or hd.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here