Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of decking?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of decking?

I am looking for advice/suggestions on the following types of decking:

Ultradeck from Menards ($1.49 a foot)

Cedar Tone - pressure treated ($.73 a foot)

Red Cedar - ($1.05 a foot)

This decking will be for our above ground pool deck. We currently have the ultradeck on our back deck, and after five years like it. However, it is more expensive than the other two options, gets hot (our back deck is in the shade in the afternoon), doesn't look the greatest after a year or so, and a lot of people seem to have problems with it. We are open to other brands of composite but can't afford more than the price of the ultradeck. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of decking?

I'm not sure which would be better, but you will want something that doesn't splinter easily. I'm thinking the Red Cedar might be better since you can sand it smooth if needed.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pressure treated works well but tends to warp. I agree with Zea, the red cedar might be your best bet.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Stay with a composite.....down the road you will be better off.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never used composite myself but I have seen it on the shelf and it is very expensive. I have seen some complain about some composite products "Delamianting" and some have had a very hard time getting warrenty service for this condition. At the prices that they get for this type decking I would make sure that I did not get the type that is having issues like that. My deck is treated deck boards and they serve my needs well and look good also. There is maintenance with them but that is true with anything I think.
    27 foot round above ground

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of decking?

I'm not sure how much more expensive it is, but have you checked into vinyl decking?
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

What kind of decking?

I recently posted my deck pics from last years pool and deck build

My decking is the new home depot veranda Brazilian walnut it is PVC coated which should prevent delam issues. It is also installable with hidden hardware. I will try to post direct link to my prior post.

Very satisfied including 1st winter durability ( no issues at all )
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice deck RSE...I'm about to start mine and am trying to decide on a floating deck or underground footings

10. Back To Top    #10

I suppose that depends on just how long you want that deck up! Me I want it for a very long time so in ground footers are a must for me... Also how high off the ground will your deck be? a couple inches or couple feet?