Not a new pool owner, but stuck on this one

pikeman

Jul 6, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
I care for my own pool quite well, but am at a loss when we go away for vacation. Last year we paid someone to water some plants and empty the skimmer and pump strainers. On her last visit the morning we returned, she neglected to tighten the strainer cover. The pump lost prime, overheated and it cost me $190 to have repaired.
So, another vacation is scheduled this May and I am considering just shutting off the pump, super-duper shock the pool with many gallons of bleach and just deal with whatever happens.
I do not want a contract with a pool service provider, and that's what they want.

So what do you folks do over vacation as far as caring for your pool?

Thanks
Pete

Do you really get that much debris in your pool that you have to empty the pump strainer? Last time I went out of town I just had my son add bleach and check the skimmer baskets. I don't get a lot of debris in my pool so I don't know how often others have to empty their pump strainers. I can go months without anything getting in one of mine.

Flippy said:
Do you really get that much debris in your pool that you have to empty the pump strainer? Last time I went out of town I just had my son add bleach and check the skimmer baskets. I don't get a lot of debris in my pool so I don't know how often others have to empty their pump strainers. I can go months without anything getting in one of mine.

Well, the thing with Texas weather is that it can just blow like hades and half the yard is in the pool! Sometimes there is nothing in either strainer and sometimes they're completely packed from a bad storm.
Pete

pikeman said:
Flippy said:

Well, the thing with Texas weather is that it can just blow like hades and half the yard is in the pool! Sometimes there is nothing in either strainer and sometimes they're completely packed from a bad storm.
Pete

Maybe something like this will work as insurance : http://www.instructables.com/id/Skimmer-Leaf-Trap/
It seems like I’ve seen posts about similar solutions here, using a screen similar to what I used to call chicken wire.

Well Pete, I could not find the posts on the subject. If memory serves me well (and it doesn't) the owners just threw netting over the side, in front of the skimmer, using rock filled pvc pipe as a centered anchor and bricks to keep it on the deck. I think they said it was badmitten netting.

Not elegant, but functional. Somebody mentioned "bird netting" (nylon), used to keep birds off fruit trees and bushes, would work also.

Buford said:
Well Pete, I could not find the posts on the subject. If memory serves me well (and it doesn't) the owners just threw netting over the side, in front of the skimmer, using rock filled pvc pipe as a centered anchor and bricks to keep it on the deck. I think they said it was badmitten netting.

Not elegant, but functional. Somebody mentioned "bird netting" (nylon), used to keep birds off fruit trees and bushes, would work also.

Yup, I think any plastic netting would work. Badminton would be ideal . . .
Pete

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before Hurricane IKE, I shocked the ever lovin mutha out of mine. Then I disconnected the pump and took it off the grid so it was less likely to get shocked or run with debris. After the storm I got all of the big limbs out of the pool and the sticks, but the leaves on the bottom (green and brown) stayed put. I had bigger fish to fry, like food, shelter, safety, etc. Then 14 days later when the electricity came on I cleaned the pool. After all that I had no issues with algae at all. That was even in the heat of the summer in Houston. Turn it off and let it be.

Last vacation was 2 weeks. I put on the winter cover, floated some pucks under it & had the pump on low.
Everything was perfect when we came back.
Our son came home one weekend, took the cover off, swam, put the cover back. (I hold the cover down with some weights)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.