Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not a new pool owner, but stuck on this one

1. Back To Top    #1

Not a new pool owner, but stuck on this one

I care for my own pool quite well, but am at a loss when we go away for vacation. Last year we paid someone to water some plants and empty the skimmer and pump strainers. On her last visit the morning we returned, she neglected to tighten the strainer cover. The pump lost prime, overheated and it cost me $190 to have repaired.
    So, another vacation is scheduled this May and I am considering just shutting off the pump, super-duper shock the pool with many gallons of bleach and just deal with whatever happens.
    I do not want a contract with a pool service provider, and that's what they want.

So what do you folks do over vacation as far as caring for your pool?

Thanks
    Pete
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not a new pool owner, but stuck on this one

If its for a week to 10 days, I'll add some poly 60.

More than that, I'll have someone stop by.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you really get that much debris in your pool that you have to empty the pump strainer? Last time I went out of town I just had my son add bleach and check the skimmer baskets. I don't get a lot of debris in my pool so I don't know how often others have to empty their pump strainers. I can go months without anything getting in one of mine.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy
    Do you really get that much debris in your pool that you have to empty the pump strainer? Last time I went out of town I just had my son add bleach and check the skimmer baskets. I don't get a lot of debris in my pool so I don't know how often others have to empty their pump strainers. I can go months without anything getting in one of mine.
    Well, the thing with Texas weather is that it can just blow like hades and half the yard is in the pool! Sometimes there is nothing in either strainer and sometimes they're completely packed from a bad storm.
    Pete
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    If its for a week to 10 days, I'll add some poly 60.

More than that, I'll have someone stop by.

Scott
    I've used Poly60 in the past. Good product, good idea and cheap insurance to put a quart in the pool.
    Thanks!
    Pete

6. Back To Top    #6

X2 with the polyquat 60...My pool did just fine, got the chlorine to +3 over my shock on the CYA chart, added 8oz polyquat 60, put on the cover, and let the pump run all week (6 days).
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pikeman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippy
    Well, the thing with Texas weather is that it can just blow like hades and half the yard is in the pool! Sometimes there is nothing in either strainer and sometimes they're completely packed from a bad storm.
    Pete
    Maybe something like this will work as insurance : http://www.instructables.com/id/Skimmer-Leaf-Trap/
    It seems like I’ve seen posts about similar solutions here, using a screen similar to what I used to call chicken wire.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe something like this will work as insurance : http://www.instructables.com/id/Skimmer-Leaf-Trap/
    It seems like I’ve seen posts about similar solutions here, using a screen similar to what I used to call chicken wire.[/quote]

That is brilliant! I'm going to build one . . .
    Thanks!
    Pete

9. Back To Top    #9

Well Pete, I could not find the posts on the subject. If memory serves me well (and it doesn't) the owners just threw netting over the side, in front of the skimmer, using rock filled pvc pipe as a centered anchor and bricks to keep it on the deck. I think they said it was badmitten netting.

Not elegant, but functional. Somebody mentioned "bird netting" (nylon), used to keep birds off fruit trees and bushes, would work also.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Buford
    Well Pete, I could not find the posts on the subject. If memory serves me well (and it doesn't) the owners just threw netting over the side, in front of the skimmer, using rock filled pvc pipe as a centered anchor and bricks to keep it on the deck. I think they said it was badmitten netting.

Not elegant, but functional. Somebody mentioned "bird netting" (nylon), used to keep birds off fruit trees and bushes, would work also.

Yup, I think any plastic netting would work. Badminton would be ideal . . .
    Pete

11. Back To Top    #11

Before Hurricane IKE, I shocked the ever lovin mutha out of mine. Then I disconnected the pump and took it off the grid so it was less likely to get shocked or run with debris. After the storm I got all of the big limbs out of the pool and the sticks, but the leaves on the bottom (green and brown) stayed put. I had bigger fish to fry, like food, shelter, safety, etc. Then 14 days later when the electricity came on I cleaned the pool. After all that I had no issues with algae at all. That was even in the heat of the summer in Houston. Turn it off and let it be.
    2nd Time Pool Owner - 1998 In Ground, Gunite/Plaster, 24' long x 19' wide x 4.5' deep, 20,000 Gallon, Chlorine, 2 Hp Hayward Ecostar with Sand.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-on...le-t40734.html
    Cave Creek, Arizona

12. Back To Top    #12

Last vacation was 2 weeks. I put on the winter cover, floated some pucks under it & had the pump on low.
    Everything was perfect when we came back.
    Our son came home one weekend, took the cover off, swam, put the cover back. (I hold the cover down with some weights)
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!