Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Basic Newbie Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Basic Newbie Questions

Planning fiberglass pool install for this spring, probably around 17k gallon. I'll be using Intelliflo VS pump, cartridge filter, chlorinator (no heater). Pool size will be about 38 x 16, max depth 6'.
    How many skimmers will I need?
    How many returns? Should they be looped?
    Should PVC piping be all the same size? 2"? 1 1/2"?
    Should I insist on no flex piping?
    Should 3 way valves be avoided?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    N Virginia
    -Leisure Moroccan 38' Fiberglass
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -1 Skimmer/ 3 Returns/2 Drains/2" Piping
    -3 Fiberstar Pal Treo LED lights/Wirtran
    -TF100 TestKit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Basic Newbie Questions

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have done your homework at least know what questions to ask. The following is my personal opinions for you questions and being a relative newbie myself take it for what its worth.

I would have two skimmers. For my house the wind swirls and I wanted two locations for suction side so I had two but I do not have a main drain. Are you going to have a main drain?

For a pool that size I would say at least four returns but a lot of of that depends on your exact pool. If you have steps you should have a least two just to clean off the steps.

Most people on this forum would defiantly say go with all 2" rigid plumbing. If you have to have some 1.5 have it on the return side not suction.

Don't know why you would avoid three way valves? Someone else may be able to elaborate.

Again only my $0.2
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If I was going to post, I would post almost EXACTLY what rhumbaclave already posted!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool I'm "leaning" towards is a Leisure Moroccan 38'. The manufacturer tells me one skimmer and two returns fine.... I'm not sure.
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -TF100 TestKit

5. Back To Top    #5

we are currently trying to install the Viking Fiji (if it would STOP raining in South Texas) , it is 15x34x6 and we will have one skimmer placed where the prevailing wind helps clear debris, and 4 returns. No maindrain. This is what was recommended by the PB and we are doing an assisted install- means we do MOST of the work with their backup and recommendations. So far, they have been helpful but I always like to check back with TFP to get "real" people opinions since the salesman is JUST THAT, a Sales man!!! He's kindof a slick willie kind of character, lol. I LOVE all the advise we get here
    Assisted install/DIY project 2012: 15,000 gallon ,15x34x6 Fiji by Viking fiberglass pools with Azure blue diamond finish, 1 1/2 hp dual speed pump, 30" Hayward Sand filter, inline tablet Chlorinator (at least until I decide on a SWG- this is ALL new to me)

6. Back To Top    #6

Viking normally requires it be installed by the dealer and meets or exceeds their requirements. Self installs are not normally allowed.

Bottom drains should be installed.

Two returns is barely adequate by today's standards.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Update: The PB I'm talking with will be installing two skimmers and 4 returns.

I just came from the Bldg Permit office in my county.... this is another "bag of worms" that I have to make sure I get right with PB, upfront!
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit