frost heaved pavers

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
I had a paver patio installed this past spring which had recently started show slight heaving in one section.

Background:The pool is an IG vinyl steel walled pool that was built in the fall of 2010. I waited untill the following spring to have the pavers laid. The base material was 3/4" processed gravel approx 12" deep. Compacted in lifts and pavers were laid in a 1" bed of washed concrete sand. Pavers were then mechanically compacted into setting bed and polymeric sand was swept into joints. My backyard is flat with no retaining walls or such of any kind. The entire pool area was graded such that it sits slightly above the surrounding yard and of course the patio slopes gradually away from the pool.

The damage appears to be isolated to a single area about 2' x 2' and I estimate the heaving to be about and 1" - 1.5" at the peak. However the overall affected area is somewhat larger as the this rise tapers off to the undisturbed sections. Obviously there is water trapped beneath that has frozen and caused this, but my concerns are:

1.) How likely is it that the pavers will return to thier orignal position come spring and is this something that can commonly happen to even properly installed paver decks?

2.) It has been an extremely mild winter here in southern NewEngland and I'm afraid the situation might intesify when the normal cold/precipatition arrives.

3.) Could I be faced with the unenviable task of removing pavers to regrade or installing drainage?

I will post actual pics of the damage when time permits, but for now I have included a drawing of my property.

There is 1/2" crushed stone everywhere inside the fencing where there is not pavers. The yellow circle represents the problem area.

paverheave1jpg.png

It happens. They should go back down. If they don't, call the installer. He should fix it, its an easy fix. My pool deck has never moved but I have a walkway that heaves in one spot a little every winter. It goes back level after everything thaws. The fix is to just remove the pavers that are heaved, level off the sand, and set them back. The base they used is fine, I'd have used stone dust instead of sand. Stone dust doesn't heave as bad, IMO, but your heaving sounds pretty normal. Look at it this way; if it was concrete, it would be cracked.

what is considered "processed " gravel? For a base i used 8"s or so of 2a modified stone compacted then 1 " stone dust and on a later addition i used sand. I liked working with the sand much better.

mikeginder said:
what is considered "processed " gravel? .

In New England, its basically 3/4" minus, washed and seived. Packs like iron, but drains really well.

MX's issue is they only used 1" of sand on top of the gravel. They should have used 3-4 inches of sand or stone dust; i prefer stone dust. You cant use only 1 inch of base under the pavers, not up here. Lot of guys bid jobs cheap and thats where they skimp, on the base.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.