Polaris 360 trouble

Jun 6, 2010
Garland, TX
I have a Polaris 360 that is 3 years old, this summer would be it's 4th year to sweep the pool, unfortunately it's DOA. It lays on its side at the bottom and doesnt move.

The wheels kinda try to move, they rotate very slowly but not enough to move the unit when its in the water. I have replaced the drive belts because they broke last year. At another forum it was suggested that it was on its side because the float probably had water in it, so I replaced the float but that hasn't seemed to help as it still lays on its side.

Pressure is not an issue as it gets plenty. There is a strong jet of water at the thrust jet and the "tail" and at the backup valve. The main pump for the pool is a 2 1/2 horse power that has always provided more than enough pressure.

I'm guessing its a gearbox problem?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

I adjusted the Jandy valve wide open that diverts to the Polaris and it currently reads about 25-28 psi and I pulled the Polaris out and the wheels are turning but not as fast as they should and with darn little power. When I put it back in the pool the unit has just enough power to drive it into a wall where it stays until the backup valve dislodges it from the wall and then the cycle starts again, the unit drives to the wall and stays there until the backup valve dislodges it. Just not a lot of power. It seems like its a pressure/power thing but why would this suddenly become a problem after doing just fine for 3 years?

I'll have to do a wheel rotation count when I warm up, because it is coooooold outside.

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying. When I set the Jandy valve at the ideal pressure according to the guage on the Jandy energy filter:http://www.poolplaza.com/P-JDY-201-2352.html the Polaris doesnt move at all, with a little more pressure it makes an effort.

My main DE filter doesnt need a backwash as the pressure is fine. The rule of thumb for a DE filter is that it needs to be backwashed after an increase of 10 PSI and the pressure has risen 5 since my last backwash so it doesnt need backwashing according to the 10 PSI rule. As for the Jandy Energy Filter, it is also clean. So I dont understand why the Polaris is soooooo slow.

If you've got an energy filter that's plumbed correctly, your filter has nothing to do with it. They are plumbed before the filter.

Before you break it apart there are a few things you can check...
1.) Filter screen at the wall. If it gets clogged with debris then it doesn't matter how much water is going to it.
2.) Pull the backup valve up out of the water while the pump is running to see if you have water constantly coming out. It should be on a 5-6 minute cycle where no water comes out, valve sprays for about a minute, then another 5-6 minute cycle of normal cleaner operation.
3.) Check leaks in the hose.

If those things check out, pull it up out of the water with the pump off and spin one wheel. All three wheels should spin at the same time smoothly and relatively quietly. If not, go into it and see what's up. Almost every one I see that needs service has an issue with the bearing right next to the single side wheel. You can usually look down in between the wheel and the cleaner body and see some of the bearing parts bouncing around.

I was amazed, we just had massive rains that drove all kinds of debris to the bottom. Dropped the " honey badger" in there and when I got home from work it looked awesome. I must say they are finicky things tho.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.