Do I need tiles at the waterline?

Most pool finishes are designed to be kept underwater. Can't think of any that aren't, but I'm not a pool guy. You'll need something at the waterline and tile is probably the least problematic and easiest to clean. Some people use flagstone (like me), but you'll need to be very careful if you choose a natural stone as, depending on its composition, it could deteriorate.

I have a pool on my route that was diamond brite all the way to the coping. no waterline tiles. water got under the coping and the pool finish is falling off and the patio is all cracked up. Of course these builders did not seal properly between the finish and coping but best to install waterline tiles. it looks better and diamond brite will eventually crack up in the sun if exposed above the water. we did do a waterfall and some finish is exposed at the very bottom but we keep the waterfall on as much as possible to keep it wet. we only did this on the bottom as the pool owners ran out of tile and wanted the tile section of the fall centered. they were using some old tile they had left over and no one manufactures it anymore..at least we could not find it anywhere. it's been 2 1/2 years and all is still good with the finish.

but best not to cut corners and get the waterline tiles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.