Island Style Palapa DIY?

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Anyone have any experience with building an island style Palapa?

aruba_press153.jpg

We are frequent Aruba visitors and love sitting under these. Would like to build as part of our new pool landscape. I have seen kits, but would like to build from scratch except thatch.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks,

Ted

I have a palapa . It came in a kit from palapakings.com . A little pricey but , it is very authentic and we love it . We eat under the palapa everyday in the Summer !

The bad news is in my climate (PA) the thatch needs replaced about every 2 years as it tends to rot .Still cheaper than a trip to Aruba ...

Thanks TikiFarmer - We go to Aruba every year due to having a time share, so all good for that week or two. Its the others looking to take care of. So looking at what you bought, could you build it yourself without kit??

Thanks

Ted

I think it could be built without the kit . The main post is around 6" dia. and sunk 2-3' into the ground

P1010003-4.jpg

If you get any snow load they recommend putting chicken wire under the thatch . I have since changed that to fence with a 2"x4" opening . It supports the thatch better . I used zip ties to attach the thatch to the frame .

P1010008-2.jpg

P1010009-2.jpg

I built the table and the supports ...

P1010010-2.jpg

P1010011-4.jpg

The palapa builder's reward ...

P1010012-6.jpg

Hope this helps ...

Oh man, that last pic...my mouth is now watering. That's a great looking table, I love it.

I'm sure a fence builder or installer could get you a line on those types of posts, or perhaps a "country" style furniture builder, they use the same style of rounded posts for beds and tables.

used power poles work too for the main post and you can usually find one laying somewhere. sand it, put a sealer on it and build off it. not very oem but works for us financially challenged diy'ers.

tikifarmer said:
I think it could be built without the kit . The main post is around 6" dia. and sunk 2-3' into the ground

P1010003-4.jpg

If you get any snow load they recommend putting chicken wire under the thatch . I have since changed that to fence with a 2"x4" opening . It supports the thatch better . I used zip ties to attach the thatch to the frame .

P1010008-2.jpg

P1010009-2.jpg

I built the table and the supports ...

P1010010-2.jpg

P1010011-4.jpg

The palapa builder's reward ...

P1010012-6.jpg

Hope this helps ...

Tikifarmer -

Where did you find the smaller diameter posts? (2"???) No one around here seems to carry that kind of lumber...Is this something I may have to special order?

Thanks,

Nate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.