Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Island Style Palapa DIY?

Island Style Palapa DIY?

Anyone have any experience with building an island style Palapa?

We are frequent Aruba visitors and love sitting under these. Would like to build as part of our new pool landscape. I have seen kits, but would like to build from scratch except thatch.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks,

Ted

Re: Island Style Palapa DIY?

Something this cool and nobody has ever built one? /

I have a palapa . It came in a kit from palapakings.com . A little pricey but , it is very authentic and we love it . We eat under the palapa everyday in the Summer !

The bad news is in my climate (PA) the thatch needs replaced about every 2 years as it tends to rot .Still cheaper than a trip to Aruba ...
    23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

Thanks TikiFarmer - We go to Aruba every year due to having a time share, so all good for that week or two. Its the others looking to take care of. So looking at what you bought, could you build it yourself without kit??

Thanks

Ted

I think it could be built without the kit . The main post is around 6" dia. and sunk 2-3' into the ground

If you get any snow load they recommend putting chicken wire under the thatch . I have since changed that to fence with a 2"x4" opening . It supports the thatch better . I used zip ties to attach the thatch to the frame .

I built the table and the supports ...

The palapa builder's reward ...

Hope this helps ...
    23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

That is awesome! Will look at their options.

I just got back from Aruba and sat under one oceanfront for 6 days straight!! Love that place.

Oh man, that last pic...my mouth is now watering. That's a great looking table, I love it.

I'm sure a fence builder or installer could get you a line on those types of posts, or perhaps a "country" style furniture builder, they use the same style of rounded posts for beds and tables.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

used power poles work too for the main post and you can usually find one laying somewhere. sand it, put a sealer on it and build off it. not very oem but works for us financially challenged diy'ers.
    Still holding on to the grass so I wont fall off the planet!!

Quote Originally Posted by tikifarmer
    I think it could be built without the kit . The main post is around 6" dia. and sunk 2-3' into the ground

If you get any snow load they recommend putting chicken wire under the thatch . I have since changed that to fence with a 2"x4" opening . It supports the thatch better . I used zip ties to attach the thatch to the frame .

I built the table and the supports ...

The palapa builder's reward ...

Hope this helps ...
    Tikifarmer -

Where did you find the smaller diameter posts? (2"???) No one around here seems to carry that kind of lumber...Is this something I may have to special order?

Thanks,

Nate