Newbie from Phoenix

Feb 6, 2012
Hi, I just bought a house with a pool, and it'll be my first pool since I'm new to Arizona. Hubby has had one before, but he's not interested in doing the care himself, so our first priority will be finding a pool maintenance service. Our second will be buying a pool cover. Aside from massive dust storms and leaves, we have a 2-yr-old grandson and no fence between the slider and the pool area. I've been reading this forum for pool cover recommendations. Any thoughts about which ones are most durable in 115 degree heat?

Welcome to TFP.

Given that you have small child(ren) with access to the pool, I personally think you should switch priorities. Look for a cover first and make the maintenance service a secondary concern. I assume this is an inground pool and if so, I recommend a good safety cover like a Loop-Loc, etc.

You can get a maintenence service but I think that if you'll read and learn here you can maintain the pool yourself with little effort and you'll not only save money, you'll have a nice pool without having to fight it or the pool company.

Bama Rambler said:
Welcome to TFP.

Given that you have small child(ren) with access to the pool, I personally think you should switch priorities.

I appreciate your answer, just to clarify, the grandson doesn't live with us, but we understand the importance of pool safety for his visits. Until we can get a pool cover, is there a pool alarm you'd recommend?

The house was a fix 'n flip, and it's quite empty - so far we haven't seen any sign of a pool cover left behind. Is it possible to get a motorized cover for a pool that's kind of wedge-shaped? How would that work?

I would fence the pool, or as my neighbor has done, put a fence and gate across the back patio of the house blocking access to the pool without going through a safety gate.

Safety covers are fine for a pool up north in the off season, but you live in AZ. Do you really want to take a cover on and off each time you want to use your pool?

chiefwej said:
Safety covers are fine for a pool up north in the off season, but you live in AZ. Do you really want to take a cover on and off each time you want to use your pool?

That's a good point, and why I was wondering if it's practical to buy a motorized pool cover for an irregular-shaped pool. I have no experience with pools!

GTGallop said:
Welcome! I'm in Noobville and in PHX too. What part of town are you in? I'm assuming the Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert area since you mention the dust. We are up near Cave Creek and don't have anywhere NEAR the dust that you guys do.

Thanks, GTGallop. We're moving to Maricopa next week after living in Ahwatukee for 2 years. Still struggling with an affordable answer to keep the baby safe - Baby Barrier, an alarm, an affordable cover - at the very least, a self-closing lock on the slider. And vigilance, of course. The baby's family will be moving to another state in 4 months, so we are hoping a reasonably priced pool alarm will work until then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support