Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tucson pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Tucson pool

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and would like to share some construction photos of my new pool as it is being built. I am sure I will be seeking all kinds of advice on this forum on how to keep my backyard oasis in tip top shape. Here is phase one, the excavation.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Tucson pool

Welcome to the forum!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! Your picture didn't show up, but I am looking forward to your build. Just 13 months ago I didn't know squat about taking care of a pool, but TFP has made it a breeze for me. Don't be afraid to ask any questions as there is a ton of knowledge on this forum.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice saguaro, looks like a awesome back yard. Are you going to plaster or pebble tec?
    30,000 gunnite with emerald bay pebble tec
    Pentair fns 60 square feet DE filter
    Whisperflow 0.75 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! We really enjoy our property.

It is going to be a variant of pebble sheen. It is basically pebble sheen with some abalone shell bits impregnated in it. They started doing the plumbing today, but I got home when the sun was already down, so no new picture to post yet.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by scurley
    Thanks! We really enjoy our property.
    That is so cool! I assume that's just the natural landscape, must be a lot of wildlife in the vicinity.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the site. Looks like you had a nice easy dig. Who is building your pool?
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    Welcome to the site. Looks like you had a nice easy dig. Who is building your pool?
    We started out going with Patio Pools based on their reputation and how long they have been in the business. The problem we had with them is, the sales person we were dealing with wanted to build 'his' pool, and wasn't to interested in building 'our' pool. After asking him how much a grotto water feature would cost, his off the cuff answer was '15k', we knew we were done with Patio.

Presidential Pools is the builder we ended up going with, and so far so good. It is amazing how far a little customer service goes these days.

9. Back To Top    #9

The plumbing is done. They have 3 leaks that they need to fix, but otherwise looks good. Tomorrow they will start on the rebar.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I had the same issue with Patio Pools salesman 6 years ago when I built my pool. It sounds like the same salesman. They just wanted to offer plan A or B, and didn't want to hear what we were looking for. We went to another pool builder who worked with us to design exactly what we asked for.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

scurley, looking good! While you still can, it's worth thinking about adding another skimmer; it looks like a pretty big pool for just one.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Melt, the pictures may be deceptive. The pool will be 493 square foot with a 97 foot perimeter. Do you still think I need more than one skimmer?

The plumbers still have not shown up to fix the leaks.... The rebar guy came yesterday and it looks like he finished, though I don't see any rebar to form the top and bottom step. The electricians showed up yesterday also, and ended up doing more plumbing than wiring. Poor guys managed to cut two of my water lines, the main line into the house and a line going to an outside tap. Blue Stake doesn't really work when you are on a private well. I have water and irrigation lines going everywhere. The local cable company also didn't bother to mark their direct bury line as part of the Blue Stake.

Hodgepodge below the main breaker panel

One severed and replaced water lines

13. Back To Top    #13

I love that giant cactus off to the side...it's so foreign from the 8 inches of snow sitting on my pool right now.
    You concerned about critters strolling into your new pool area?
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    I love that giant cactus off to the side...it's so foreign from the 8 inches of snow sitting on my pool right now.
    You concerned about critters strolling into your new pool area?
    Yes... We half expected to see her, or her two cubs' footprints after it was dug out. We see them around fairly regularly going after the rabbits and pack rats (then ones I really expect to be plugging up my skimmer) in our yard. We have also seen some very healthy coyotes, some javelina, rattle and gopher snakes, and some large hawks.

15. Back To Top    #15

Looks like it will be amazing!

You don't want a union under ground - it looks like there is one in the first pics of the piping "mess"
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Re: the skimmers.

My pool is 16x36 plus a 7x7 tanning ledge, so it's really only a bit more than yours in area. I have two skimmers and it works really well to have one at each end. Picks up all the debris regardless of which way the wind blows.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

They should be shooting the shotcrete this week. Should I be concerned that there is no rebar for the top or bottom step?

18. Back To Top    #18

The plumbers fixed the leaks and the system is still holding 31 PSI, electricians finished their work, and the inspection passed. Today they showed up at 7am to do the shotcrete. I would have loved to stay at home to watch that process. Next, they will create some fake boulders and the water feature I believe.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yesterday they started on the boulders and the waterfall/grotto/slide.

20. Back To Top    #20

WOW!!! The grotto and water slide look awesome. It blends in with the landscape nicely!!
    24' Round,Vinyl, 13500 gal AG/Haywood 200S Filter/not sure of size or flow rate/TF100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast