Soda looking bubbles in viewing glass of pump & sand filter

Weston

Jul 25, 2010
I'm seeing little air bubbles through the looking glass on my pump and the glass on top of my sand filter. (Hayward super pump/ triton sand filter)

They look like little sprite bubbles.

I know this is air getting in on the suction side somewhere but I can't find it. I'v removed the looking glass part from the pump and checked it and greased it up. I did not remove the gasket though.

I don't see any leaks anywhere before the pump. I've checked everywhere.

This may be a stupid question but could their be a leak underground (it's an in ground gunite pool) or near the pool somewhere?

Should I be concerned by this little amount of air? I don't think it's gotten worse but then again I've never noticed it. Been monitoring it for the past couple of weeks.

Thanks

Re: Soda looking bubbles in viewing glass of pump & sand fil

If it's a steady stream of bubbles then you should try and find where they're coming from. It's most likely not an underground leak.

The most common places for a suction side leak is the pump basket lid o-ring seal, the strainer basket drain plug, low water level causing the skimmer to suck air, stuck skimmer weir causing air to be sucked in. If you have a valve on the suction side it can leak around the stem but that's less common.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.