DIY Portable (External) Pool Vacuum

Apr 6, 2011
I have been thinking of building a "portable" or external pool vacuum - as I don't like to keep a robotic cleaner always in the pool and I would like to be able to vacuum my pool without going through my filter system (hook up the hose, get the water out, put in a leaf strainer, added wear and tear on the filter/pump, then put it all away).

Something similar to the "Pool Weasel" ( http://www.poolweasel.com/ - which looks interesting but is outrageously priced).

Has anyone else ever done this?

What I was thinking was to buy a cheap Intex pump/filter system that I could plug into a nearby 120V outlet, and somehow attach my long pool hose and vacuum on the pool, then mount it on a dolly of some sort. I think this idea might work, but I don't know if the Intex systems which are primarily made for above ground systems hoses would connect to my regular pool hose which i now use with a vacuum attachment on the pool. Am I explaining what I am trying to do correctly?

Any thoughts from people - have you ever tried this? (Please no comments on why I want to do this - just if it might work and what configuration / parts might make the most sense).

Thanks!
FYI, 15000 Plaster in ground pool in San Diego. I live in the hills behind and frequently get a lot of leaves etc due to santa ana winds, etc, so I must vacuum regularly.

It all depends on which intex system you want to use. The .5 hp sand filter/pump combo runs about $230 new at Walmart, and you can probably find the parts on line to adapt the hose size. All that sand will make it pretty heavy, and I don't know if their cartridge systems would give you the power you would need to vacuum the pool. So it is doable and you won't know if it gives you the results you want until you give it a try.

You may also be able to find a good deal on used pumps and filters if you keep your eyes open.

If you go the deck pump route, I would be on the lookout for a used pump and cartridge filter. Wire the motor 120 and use heavy gauge extension cord to power it. Bolt it all to a cart and you'll be good to go.

Be careful getting an above ground pump. Most are not self priming and you'll have a hard time getting it going, if at all.

i purchased the game aqua-quick system a few years back off line walmart.com i wanna say it set me back 3 hundred ish. the hoses and attachments came with it. i have a different intex pool and I'm told by GAME the national chain Leslie's has all the intex connectors and i just remove the pump off the cartridge housing and attack my hose to the bottom and its ready. i have yes to purchase it. its like 15 bucks. the sand filter is way worth the investment. those cartridges are a pain with just one or two trees nearby they cant cut it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.