Deck Questions

kmb997

Jun 13, 2007
New Orleans
I have a 21' round AGP that was recently installed and will be building a deck. I know there are many types of wood and composites out there, but I decided to just stick with pressure treated and sealing it. I know composites are better for less maintenance, but what is a good choice for regular pressure treated (cedar, pine, etc.)? I don't want to spend the money I would if I were building a composite deck.

Thanks

correct, pine is the only thing you can get pressure treated. cedar is the kind of wood, though, that can actually withstand out door abuse, but its costly compared to pressure treated pine. cedar will probably run you about as much, or just less, than a composite deck, pressure treated pine is pretty much your best bet if you are going inexpensive.

If you want to spen a little extra for a really nice look, have a look at Ipe, Massaranduba and friends. Typical cost is $5-$10 per sq ft for the decking planks alone ($2.5 per lin ft on the 6" wide planks) - the structural parts can be pressure treated pine to save $.

That's what I'll do.

These wood species are incredibly tough and heavy and will last for ages outdoors.

Check, for example, http://www.theworkbench.com/ or just google IPE decking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.