Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck Questions

I have a 21' round AGP that was recently installed and will be building a deck. I know there are many types of wood and composites out there, but I decided to just stick with pressure treated and sealing it. I know composites are better for less maintenance, but what is a good choice for regular pressure treated (cedar, pine, etc.)? I don't want to spend the money I would if I were building a composite deck.

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Pine is the only pressure treated wood available to my knowledge.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    correct, pine is the only thing you can get pressure treated. cedar is the kind of wood, though, that can actually withstand out door abuse, but its costly compared to pressure treated pine. cedar will probably run you about as much, or just less, than a composite deck, pressure treated pine is pretty much your best bet if you are going inexpensive.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

4. Back To Top    #4

Are any other types of wood used for decks other than the above? I guess pine with a seal will be good enough?

Thanks for the info.
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

5. Back To Top    #5
    per my lumberjock friends:

Cypress, Teak, Mahogany, White oak and cedar make for the best outdoor projects, as well as pressure treated pine.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank You

7. Back To Top    #7

If you want to spen a little extra for a really nice look, have a look at Ipe, Massaranduba and friends. Typical cost is $5-$10 per sq ft for the decking planks alone ($2.5 per lin ft on the 6" wide planks) - the structural parts can be pressure treated pine to save $.

That's what I'll do.

These wood species are incredibly tough and heavy and will last for ages outdoors.

Check, for example, http://www.theworkbench.com/ or just google IPE decking.
    So far lots of mud, moss and grass in my back yard (in that order). Planning a pool build for spring/summer