Cost to Heat Pool

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
Is there a way that I can get a rough idea on what it would cost me to heat my pool using a gas heater? This is a new pool that will be complete by Feb 15th. I know that I can't use the heater for about 30 days. But, would consider heating it over spring break - if it doesn't cost a fortune. I don't know what the pool water temperate will be yet - but is there a simple forumula that shows the cost to heat 1degree, etc?

I have a 23,000 gallon pool and would like to know how much it costs to heat?

I appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions.

You will see a noticeable difference if you cover it overnight, that will be the best way to keep your heating costs lower. Maintaining is much easier than re-heating, but the cost is unknown since it's entirely dependent on the weather.

here is a formula that I saw in another thread.
yeggim said:
8.34 BTUs to heat one gallon of water 1 degree
10000 X 8.34=83,400 BTUs to raise your pool 1 degree
10 degrees rise = 834,000 BTUs

The missing variables would be the efficiency of your heater (I think most are 80%) and the cost of your gas per therm.

I remember reading that 1 therm = 100k BTUs

In my case it would be this:
14000 * 8.34 = 116760 BTUs per degree
116,760/100,000 = 1.1676 * [s:1btbfdtu]1.3[/s:1btbfdtu] 0.83 = [s:1btbfdtu]$1.52[/s:1btbfdtu] $0.97
(I think my gas cost is [s:1btbfdtu]$1.3[/s:1btbfdtu]/therm, I would have to double check) - good thing I was wrong, it's $0.97/therm

now the biggest question would be, how many degrees per day on average.

I will have to come back and check this again when I'm deciding how early to open the pool :party:

For your pool, it would take 191,820 Btu to raise the temperature 1 degree Fahrenheit. If we assume $10.00 per million Btu ($1.00 per Therm) and an 83 % efficient heater, then the cost to raise the pool temperature by 1 degree F would be $2.31.

Then, you have to consider the amount of heat lost, which will vary depending on variables such as whether the pool is covered, water temperature, ambient air temperature, wind speed etc.

msujohn ~ did you end up heating the pool? My daughter wants a pool party for her birthday next weekend and I am contemplating heating the pool. Yesterday it was 82 outside and the pool was 65. I don't know what the weather will be next Saturday so I'm not sure how long it would take to heat the pool to get it ~80 for the party?! Any ideas?! Was your gas bill crazy high?!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.