Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter (DE2420-DE7220)

TexasTwister

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 9, 2008
Richmond, Texas
Hello all,

I had a potential customer call me today to look at their pool, complaining that they had DE in the bottom of the pool and requesting a quote for weekly maintenance. Of course once I got there, the pool was full of algae and you couldn't even the bottom :lol:

Anyway, the first issue I noticed was that the filter pump had lost prime. After shutting it off, I took the top off of the pump basket and what water remained in the pump was actually steaming :shock: I re-primed the pump and everything seemed to be okay...apparently good flow. However, that doesn't seem to be the case.

The pump looks like it is going all gang busters, but there is an imperceptible return flow to the pool and the filter pressure gauge is showing 0 PSI. I have not seen this before, because usually heavily soiled, poorly maintained filters show a very high PSI. At first, I suspected a bad gauge on this 6 year old filter, but the lack of a return flow to the pool makes me second guess this. This model of filter also has an automatic air relief valve that could also be malfunctioning because of its age. Also, the valves are in their proper positions for a good return flow.

I suspect the gauge is not working properly. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the quick response guys. While I was there, I alternated the valve positions to pull all from the main drain, 1/2 main drain and 1/2 skimmers, and all skimmers. When I set the valve to pull exclusively from the skimmers, I did note a little water flowing past the wier. In any valve position, the amount of water flowing into the spa remained the same as measured by the amount of overflow into the pool.

Since there doesn't seem to be any difference in the amount of water being pulled from the main drain vs. the skimmers, it sounds like any blockage would be up close to the pump.

What about air entering the system? Would this result in low filter pressure? Like a bad shaft seal on the pump?

Thanks.

It doesn't sound like an air leak issue to me. That would tend to result in good flow for a moment till the pump lost prime.

I don't think we have ruled out that the filter could be totally clogged and the pressure gauge is broken. A blockage in the pipe just before the pump is also quite plausible. The filter is easier to rule out, open up the filter and have a look,

well to me it sounds like the pump ran dry (steaming) so all the fittings are a little loose so what you are dealing with is an air leak in front of the pump (seen it a million times) either use a pressure tester in the skimmer or have someone else turn off the pump while the pool is running and you get on the floor while he is turning it off and look around the pump housing (it will most likely come out of the fitting at the pump housing
thanks
paul

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I guess something else I could do is see if I get water to the pool by putting the valve on 'recirculate' and see what kind of throughput I get by bypassing the filter. I will also look for leaks around the pump itself.

If those fail to pan out, I will crack open the filter, hoping it's not a suction side blockage.

Thanks again.

Today I got the customer to confess: because he suspected a leak of DE back to the pool, he did not recharge the filter after backwashing it. He has been running the filter for 7-10 days with NO DE IN IT!

He also said 'some guy' replaced the pressure gauge on the filter and that it never worked which would explain why no pressure is being indicated. The filter's probably ready to blow :shock: . If he gives the okay, I will go out there tomorrow and crack it open and take a look.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will let you know what I find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.