Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing a pump motor - doesn't want to budge

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing a pump motor - doesn't want to budge

Hi,

I've got an old pool pump that I'm trying to open up. The motor is connected to what looks like a mounting bracket with 4 bolts. The bracket is in turn mounted to the pump housing with another 6 bolts. I've undone all the bolts, and everything is loose (it moves around) but it still won't come away from the housing.

Is there anything else I need to unscrew or disconnect, or is it just old and requires bashing with a hammer?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing a pump motor - doesn't want to budge

Try a few gentle taps with a mallet.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to be sure. The pump housing will come apart and then you'll have to unscrew the impeller to get the motor off the mounting plate. Sometimes it does require a few gentle (or not so gentle) taps to get it apart.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Red Circle x 4 bolts for the motor

Yellow circle x 6 bolts for the bracket.

Which of these should I hit with a hammer then?

Bama: The pump housing is the orange plastic part in my photo here correct? It doesn't seem to come apart - no screws that I can see, unless they're underneath. I'll have a look.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by fogeshan

Red Circle x 4 bolts for the motor

Yellow circle x 6 bolts for the bracket.

Which of these should I hit with a hammer then?

Bama: The pump housing is the orange plastic part in my photo here correct? It doesn't seem to come apart - no screws that I can see, unless they're underneath. I'll have a look.
    Leave the motor - the 4 red circle bolts - attached.
    Make sure the six yellow bolts are removed completely.
    Then wiggle all the grey stuff away from the orange housing. There are probably two gaskets. One between orange and grey, and another inside you can't see, that may be stuck. Grab the motor and try moving it right/left and up/down. All you're looking for is a few thousandths of an inch each time you change direction. Then all the sudden, you should get a big gap, and then it will just pull apart. If you must use force, use a rubber mallet on the motor housing, do not hit the orange piece. I would also caution against prying it apart, you may crack the orange piece or knick a sealing surface, and then you get to start cutting pipe and replacing the whole works!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!