Indoor pool sanitation.

Just-a-PB

In The Industry
Mar 24, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi All,
My first indoor pool. Don't get a lot of these in Phoenix.
Pool will be 43' x 6' x 4' deep.
It will have an electric cover on it.

Home builder is dealing with all of the moisture, and ventilation issues so that is not on me.
Room is only 5' larger then pool on all sides, and 10' ceilings.
Though any experience would be helpful.

What would your recommendations be for sanitation on this pool.
It is a lap pool and wont be used much, but will stay heated to around 76-83.
Owner will not be taking care of it, will be on a weekly pool service.
With the indeck cover we will be losing a little water when pool is used.
It will have a cartridge filter, and Intelliflo svrs pump.

Does the local code require SVRS? If not, I'd just use a 3/4 HP WhisperFlow and and IC-20 for a couple hours a day, tops. Indoor and low usage don't need much circulation, the cell and heater will need to vented outside unless solar is used.

The cover will reduce the evap losses and FC loss. Not much to make up for.

Scott

Yes local code requires it.
We also just adopted title 44, same as california.
No filtration pumps larger then 1hp. Unfortunatly a decent 3/4hp with service factor is larger then a 1hp so its a 1/2hp, 2 speed, or VS. I prefer the VS units.

All equipment will be outside.

I am not a proponent for ozone systems, but I have read a lot about them helping with air quality on indoor pools. Owner is a doc who has also read a bunch and wants me to put in Ozone, and a mineral system like the Frog. I dont need any comments on the latter as I already shot that down. Possibly salt and ozone, or just salt.

Anybody that has dealt with a smaller indoor pool would help.

Well, I have dealt with a couple small, indoor pools. Ozone really would not be a significant oxidation contributor here. A low pressure UV and salt system or Intellichem would work better and safer, IMHO.

Indoor pools need a lot less, if any, CYA since there is little in the way of sun light to cause the chlorine to burn off. That being said, after the pool is used, perspiration will need oxidizing so covering the pool after a swim will need to be discouraged for a couple hours after a swim. The air system will need to move a significant volume of fresh air in to carry away any DPBs that become airborne during this time.

Periodic oxidizing with MPS or increased levels of FC is suggested for breaking down any ammonia that will build up due to bather wastes. Since this is expected to be a low bather load, non-commercial facility, I would expect that that wouldn't be needed too often though. Again, this would require additional run time, uncovered, and with significant air replacement.

While the project has others that are taking ownership for the room's construction, they need to be aware that there are going to be some significant pool maintenance requirements that the room will need to meet, especially concerning the air exchange needs.

I am sure that if racket sees this, he'll chime in some helpful advice too.

Scott

PS- To those that don't know Just-a-PB, if I lived in his area and wanted a pool built, he'd be my only choice. This man builds some incredible pools. His construction knowledge is vast and his unselfish contributions on other forums makes him one of the good guys in the pool industry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.