decking and no deck engineering?

Dec 19, 2011
Orange County, CA
My plan for a new pool in SoCal has a deck on 2 sides on the pool, and grass/stepping stones on the other two sides (I prefer plants to concrete). One company (30 years in business) is adamant that no-deck side should have special engineering for strength which adds cost. The other company (60 years in business) have never heard of this and says this will be regular engineering/normal pool wall. Google gives me nothing ... please help! The same first company also says that because my area code requires deck footings those are also extra. Help, I am confused!

So far I can't find anything about this in building codes, which is why I am thinking this builder might be pulling my leg...

Re to melt in the sun:
OK, I should not have said grass - what I have in mind is a creeping ground cover rather than grass - should not need mowing; also, the pool is designed so that there will be no running around it. Ideally, I would like a paver deck, but can't afford it right now, and do not want a lot of concrete - hard to remove. Maybe I am crazy...

In Arizona, I've seen many a gunite pool with no deck on one side. However, I can't comment on whether that requires any special treatment. As for a groundcover, I bet iceplant or dymondia would work well there.

How about a pool with no deck?

b9b5ed6c.jpg

As long as the bond beam is at least 10" thick and added rebar for reinforcement, as is standard practice with the vast majority of pool builders (most use a 12" wide with a 2x2 #4 rebar box here), there is no "special engineering needed.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Additional note. If the PB is suggesting a bond beamless pool design, that is where the walls are about 6" thick all the way ip and there is no added reinforcement at the top, know that this design is structurally weak. A simple example would be to cut the rim off a paper cup, fill it with water, then pick it up. Next take an unmodified cup and fill it. Feel the difference? Any ground shifts will do the same thing to the pool that your hand did to the rimless cup.

Scott

Wow Scott, this is quite some image - very helpful. I will definitley try to understand as much of the plans as I can, but I sort of think the PB would know - they have been in the buseness longer than I've been alive, and they have a lifetime stuctural warranty - so I hopefully they know what they are doing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.