Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spastic water

1. Back To Top    #1

Spastic water

So here is the deal, new motor last year.
    Water is gushing and slowing down, gushing and slowing down, with way more slowing down than gushing.
    This is seen via the clear pump strainer lid cover.
    If I open the pipe (jandy valve) between the pump and the filter (so it pumps to waste basically) nothing changes except I can see the water pressure changing as with the input side of the pump.
    So I do not think it is the filter or after the pump.
    I did the best I could to clean the impeller (give it is hard to get to), but I must admit it does not really feel like it is clogged. I have had that happen a couple times before.
    Skimmer seems clear, main drain seems clear, suction side cleaner seems clear (but doesn't move).

Ideas?
    30,000 Gallons, Hayward C5030 cartridge filter, IG, Plaster, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spastic water

Stuck weir. That's the flapper in the skimmer. Or your water level is too low. Either way, you suck air, it loses prime and slows down, water refills, pump recovers prime, repeat.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

As Richard said, it has to be air entering the system somewhere. The weir and water level he mentioned are common as well as the pump basket lid o-ring and drain plug. It could also be a valve but that's less common.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys.
    Check all the input stuff, and when I disconnected the cleaner, it worked fine.
    Turns out there a slit in the hose for the cleaner.
    30,000 Gallons, Hayward C5030 cartridge filter, IG, Plaster, SWG