Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brownish-orange hairy debris in filter and pump basket?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Brownish-orange hairy debris in filter and pump basket?!

I'm not sure what we have going on. We have had a lot of rain lately and this is our first winter with our pool. We have left it open and have been using the spa 2-4 times a week. The SWG isn't producing chlorine so DH has been maintaing the FC with liquid bleach. I don't think we are doing a very good job. The weather here has been in the 60-70s and the pool water in the 60s. Last night the FC was zero and the PH was high. We added more bleach and muriatic acid. This morning the FC was 0.5 so we added more bleach. Dh cleaned the filters and pump basket. The pump basket was covered in a brownish-orange hairy looking stuff and the filters had some on it as well. The water is still a little cloudy. These are our current levels....

PH 7.5
    FC 3.5
    CC 0.5
    TA 90
    CH 220
    CYA 55
    Salt 2900
    water temp 61
    Built in 2011, 23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 5 jets, 3 tier fountain and 5 tier cascading waterfall into pool ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 997 sq ft exposed aggregate decking Our pool build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brownish-orange hairy debris in filter and pump basket?!

Sounds like the pool failed an overnight chlorine loss test. Something used the FC.

Shock the pool as described in Pool School.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Agreed. You need to shock the pool. As poolguynj suggests, do it according to the article in pool school to get your pool cleaned up......you can't do it with a one-time application of chlorine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure it failed the over-night test as we didn't measure the FC after the first dose of bleach (DH didn't use the pool calculator) until the next morning when it was 0.5 This morning we checked the FC and it was 3.5 with a CC of 0 (so the same as last night). However, dh and I did run the spa last night for a few hours and I assume since the water was heated the SWG might have been producing chlorine so I'm not sure how accurate the OCLT is?

DH isn't sure we need to shock the pool. I think we should as the chlorine level was 0 and that is a reason to shock according to pool school. With a CYA of 55 we need to raise the FC to 24 and maintain it there today and then check the OCLT tomorrow. When should we add more CYA, before or after shock? Does anyone know what the orange hairy stuff is?

Thanks so much! This is our first time needing to shock the pool so I want to make sure we do it right!
    Built in 2011, 23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 5 jets, 3 tier fountain and 5 tier cascading waterfall into pool ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 997 sq ft exposed aggregate decking Our pool build

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is a picture of the stuff that was on the pump basket...

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks like fur, had any dog fights in the area lately? Or birds like crows or the like flying over? My pool once had a chipmunk deposited by a hawk as it flew over.

It actually appears to have the consistency of possum fur, but the color does not seem right. With the other debris mixed in, it might have been blown in by the wind.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

7. Back To Top    #7

After Buford's post I think the "furry" stuff could be from the dog next door. They have a dark golden retriever and maybe they brushed her or something and the hair got in the pool?!

Anyway, we shocked the pool because it was cloudy and the chlorine was 0, which according to pool school it needed to be shocked. We added bleach according to the pool calculator and the chlorine level was 26.5 last night and 26 this morning so we passed the OCLT. The water looks better (it is raining outside).

What will happen with all the chlorine now? How long will it take to come down to the normal 3-4 range it needs to be?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey's Mom
    Anyway, we shocked the pool because it was cloudy and the chlorine was 0, which according to pool school it needed to be shocked. We added bleach according to the pool calculator and the chlorine level was 26.5 last night and 26 this morning so we passed the OCLT. The water looks better (it is raining outside).
    Do you pass the other two "you are done shocking" criteria...CC less than 0.5 ppm and water totally crystal clear (see my sig)? If not, you are not done with the "shocking PROCESS".
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your chlorine will start to disappear slowly over time with the water being this cold. Keep the pool uncovered during the day if it is covered. Make sure your SWG is turned to off so it doesn't run when you get in the spa. From what I read here at TFP it is fine to use the pool up to shock level. Running the spa might help to get rid of the chlorine also. There are chemicals you can buy to help get rid of the chlorine if you want to go that route, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the spa for now. The good news is that you will not have to chlorinate for awhile.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

@ Linen, we passed the 2 criteria.

Thanks to all for the assistance!
    23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 6 jets and 5 tier waterfall ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 947 sq ft exposed aggregate decking

11. Back To Top    #11

It also kind of looks like palm tree debris, does anyone around you have palm trees?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyAle
    @ Linen, we passed the 2 criteria.
    sounds good ...I was just checking, having seen many people think they are finished with the process when they are not...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    It also kind of looks like palm tree debris, does anyone around you have palm trees?
    Nose on!!! We have a few palms around the pool area that we recently cut back! Glad to know we don't have something more major going on.

I'm glad we took care of any concerns with y'alls help on this! Outside of having a TON of chlorine now, the pool is sparkly and seems to be doing well... Now to get the plaster cured so our pH isn't flailing all over the place
    23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 6 jets and 5 tier waterfall ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 947 sq ft exposed aggregate decking

14. Back To Top    #14

Here's an interesting chart that list chlorine levels:
    http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess- ... art.html#a
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

15. Back To Top    #15

My guess was either palm trees or a pet orangutan, leaning slightly toward the monkey, given your user name
    38,000 gal. IG gunite pool -- 20 x 40
    Pentair IntelliFlow VS Pump
    Pentair FNS 48 sf DE Filter
    Sand Shark suction side cleaner