Baquacil conversion underway in Florida....

Jun 18, 2011
First time poster here.

I read many many posts on conversions, and have read the steps in Pool School, and have been performing the conversion on my 10,000 gallon plaster pool.

I had used Baquacil for 3 years prior, and used the CDX product for 2 of the 3 years. Prior to converting, I let all my Baq levels go down to zero. Water was very cloudy and could not see the bottom.

I am 10 days into the process. Water is clear in that I can see the bottom very clearly, however, the water is tinted green.

Pool Parameters at the start (Using the TFT100 test kit):

FC 0
CC 0
TA 60
CYA 0
CH 420

I was putting chlorine in hourly for the first 4 days and brushing/vacuuming daily. At that point the water was clear, but tinted green. Have been shocking nightly since then. Overall I have put in 72 gallons of 5.25% bleach.

The CC reading is continually very high, and has not come down anywhere near 1. Today's figures:

1-31 Evening FC: 20 CC: 6
2-1 Morning FC 12 CC:16

My pool has a cartridge filter (Pentair). The first week, there was a huge amount of orange scum in between the pleats. I hose it out daily, but that orange goop is still is in there that I can see, not a lot, but in there nonetheless. Could that be the source of my high CC? Should I just wait until the CC comes down before changing the filter?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I would think there was quite a bit in nooks and crannies of the piping, equipment, heater and filter. Patience and more bleach friend. It doesnt help we havent had much direct sun to break down the ccs.

That FC loss of seven overnight certainly indicates you have a ways to go. Hang in there. It's hard to be patient but as long as your FC diminishes (more than 1ppm) overnight, then you know you are oxidizing organics and need to keep the FC up high.

I'll bet your FC usage will diminish rather suddenly and you'll see fast progress on your water clarity.

Here are some pictures

At the start
[attachment=2:3q8xzdn3]IMG_0209_r.jpg[/attachment:3q8xzdn3]

[attachment=1:3q8xzdn3]IMG_0210_r.jpg[/attachment:3q8xzdn3]

This is really gross.....

[attachment=0:3q8xzdn3]IMG_0212_r.jpg[/attachment:3q8xzdn3]

Attachments

• IMG_0209_r.jpg
    IMG_0209_r.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0210_r.jpg
    IMG_0210_r.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0212_r.jpg
    IMG_0212_r.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 309
Here are some more....

[attachment=2:13kjtybq]IMG_0214_r.jpg[/attachment:13kjtybq]

[attachment=1:13kjtybq]IMG_0216_r.jpg[/attachment:13kjtybq]

[attachment=0:13kjtybq]IMG_0218_r.jpg[/attachment:13kjtybq]

Attachments

• IMG_0214_r.jpg
    IMG_0214_r.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0216_r.jpg
    IMG_0216_r.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0218_r.jpg
    IMG_0218_r.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 309
Here are 2 from this afternoon

[attachment=1:23r3uisd]IMG_0227_r.jpg[/attachment:23r3uisd]

[attachment=0:23r3uisd]IMG_0228_r.jpg[/attachment:23r3uisd]

Hope you enjoy these..... :goodjob:

Attachments

• IMG_0227_r.jpg
    IMG_0227_r.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0228_r.jpg
    IMG_0228_r.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 309

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because of the use of CDX, it will take longer. It's a chemical that is harder to get rid of than Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB alone. CDX is mostly DMH which is the foundational core in bromine tabs and is somewhat analogous to CYA. Though chlorine will slowly get rid of it, sodium percarbonate gets rid of it faster (but is more expensive and should be used before any chlorine is added).

The pool is crystal clear now, no more green tint.

I think I am getting closer now. tonight's reading showed CC down to 3, which is lower than it has ever been. Will see how much FC drops overnight. Has been dropping 2-4 points per night lately.

That CDX stuff is hard to kill ......

Still adding the bleach as needed. Running low on test drops, I ordered more last night from TFTestKits.

I will try to take some pictures this week and post. There really is no exciting colors to see here.... just clear :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.