Newbie pool overflowing after winterizing and cover

Jul 12, 2011
London, ON, Canada
First of all, thanks helping to understand pool chemicals so I could understand my new pool last summer. My kids loved it.

In the fall, I drained about a 15" of water out of the pool, winterized it, and put the cover on. However, we've had a lot of rain (and snow-melt) this winter. The water level is now even with the the level where the cover attaches, about 2" below the top of the pool. There was ice about 4" thick on the top, but with recent mild weather, it's now about 3" thick, almost even with the top of my pool. I assume I don't want ice level with the top of the pool or it will wreck my deck and/or liner attachment groove.

I just put a hose through the ice to siphon off some water.

Is this OK with the ice on the top? I assume the ice will drop when the water leaves...

How much should I lower the water?

Thanks, Tim

I am going to assume you have a tarp style cover and that it does not have any holes.
Draining the water under the ice will cause the ice to collapse.
This could also cut the cover. A small hole would let pool water on top of it and it's own weight would sink it taught.
If there is no cut in the cover, you're fine, otherwise, you could pull pool water out when pumping.

Scott

Actually, my pool cover had (I assume) small holes when I put it on so it sank, just like you said.
(newbie-with-a-winter-cover-that-keeps-sinking-t39212.html)

I put some noodles under the cover, which floated it back up again. Then the cover was covered by about 10" of rain and 6" of snow which turned into ice, bringing the top of the ice to level with the groove that the cover interlocks into. I was worried that spring rains would completely overflow my pool.

The ice around the edges of the pool is melted, so the ice can easily sink without catching on things.

I'm not pumping, just syphoning off what seems like 3-4 inches of water under the ice but above the cover. I've taken it down 3" and was planning to take another 2" off.

Thanks, Tim

That is news to me. Around here in London (Canada) everyone lowers their pool water level in the fall by about 18" so that it doesn't overflow with the fall rains, winter snow, and spring rains, which run about 18", but have been especially heavy this year. I will have to keep an eye on it. I know the previous owners of my house and pool (it's 20 years old) always dropped the level by 18" in the fall. Thanks for the info.

PoolGuyNJ said:
If it's a liner pool, keep as much water in it as it will hold. THe only pools that should be lowered are those with waterline tile.

Scott

I know you have given this advice before, but i cant let it go. I let mine go over the last couple of months. As you have said in the past, "dont worry, any excess water will leak out the skimmer and not get any higher". Well you know what, thats not true, at least with mine. I checked it 2 weeks ago and by golly the water in the skimmer was darn near to the top and getting higher. The ice was right under the coping about a half an inch or less, and in fact in a couple places im sure it was right under it. It might not be a huge problem if the coping is bullnose. But, if you have cantaliver coping, and that ice gets underneath and starts to push, it could rip the coping right off the top of the pool. We did have a thaw and the ice got loose and was floating. I pumped a good 3 inches out of the pool at that point.

I guess people can do what they want, you can advise people what you want, but for me, I wouldnt let any kind of pool fill up like that in the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.