Painting above ground pipes, maybe help heat?

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
There is just something about the PVC pipes being painted gray that I don't like. Maybe it is just too industrial looking, or maybe because they just did a bad job and I can see the white showing through in a lot of areas. Originally I was just going to get another can of gray and touch everything up so it looks a little better. But then I noticed my eyes being drawn the the lines at night because they are painted with a glossy gray paint. So I was thing about maybe painting them a flat black or even a satin black. I figured this would help them be less noticeable at night, as well as maybe even attract some sunlight and help to even heat the pool a bit. I am sure the heating would only be a fraction of a degree but I guess ever little bit can help. What do you guys think? Think the gray looks bad or should I go with black? Spray paint is only a few dollars so I guess I can go back if I don't like it.

IMAG0321.jpg

Well, I must say that the scheme is rather monochromatic and...well, dull-looking to me. I agree that it looks like an industrial install and I think I would be tempted to paint just to see if it improves.

Like bk406, I think the heat gain would be totally and positively unnoticeable. :lol:

I think you can probably paint any color you want, especially since you're painting atop paint anyway. Agreed that black will not help w/ water temperature, but it might make resting a hand on the pipes uncomfortable on hot sunny days.
What about trying to match that brown/tan of the surroundings?

I'm glad to see that its okay to paint PVC pipes and their joints. I was considering painting mine black but using large letter stencils to label each of the 4 pipes with its function and an arrow showing me the to/from pool direction to help remind me what everything is. We're new to this pool stuff and while the pool builder wrote on the white PVC pipes with a Sharpie pen (Drain/Skimmer/Cleaner/Return) its already wearing off.

If you really want to get fancy, you can buy pipe labels. Seton.com offers various pipe labeling stuff, including custom wording/small pipe labels. I am sure there are other suppliers, I happen to toss Seton out there 'cause I've seen their stuff at a company I worked for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.