Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Painting above ground pipes, maybe help heat?

1. Back To Top    #1

Painting above ground pipes, maybe help heat?

There is just something about the PVC pipes being painted gray that I don't like. Maybe it is just too industrial looking, or maybe because they just did a bad job and I can see the white showing through in a lot of areas. Originally I was just going to get another can of gray and touch everything up so it looks a little better. But then I noticed my eyes being drawn the the lines at night because they are painted with a glossy gray paint. So I was thing about maybe painting them a flat black or even a satin black. I figured this would help them be less noticeable at night, as well as maybe even attract some sunlight and help to even heat the pool a bit. I am sure the heating would only be a fraction of a degree but I guess ever little bit can help. What do you guys think? Think the gray looks bad or should I go with black? Spray paint is only a few dollars so I guess I can go back if I don't like it.

Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Painting above ground pipes, maybe help heat?

Looks ok to me. Paint on the pipes wont help anything with heating the pool, doesnt matter what color they are.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Well, I must say that the scheme is rather monochromatic and...well, dull-looking to me. I agree that it looks like an industrial install and I think I would be tempted to paint just to see if it improves.

Like bk406, I think the heat gain would be totally and positively unnoticeable.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you can probably paint any color you want, especially since you're painting atop paint anyway. Agreed that black will not help w/ water temperature, but it might make resting a hand on the pipes uncomfortable on hot sunny days.
    What about trying to match that brown/tan of the surroundings?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm glad to see that its okay to paint PVC pipes and their joints. I was considering painting mine black but using large letter stencils to label each of the 4 pipes with its function and an arrow showing me the to/from pool direction to help remind me what everything is. We're new to this pool stuff and while the pool builder wrote on the white PVC pipes with a Sharpie pen (Drain/Skimmer/Cleaner/Return) its already wearing off.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

If you really want to get fancy, you can buy pipe labels. Seton.com offers various pipe labeling stuff, including custom wording/small pipe labels. I am sure there are other suppliers, I happen to toss Seton out there 'cause I've seen their stuff at a company I worked for.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

Stone fleck. yeah that would be cool.
    http://www.krylon.com/products/make_it_ ... red_paints
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Better yet, paint em really industrial yellow, an put a big radiation symbol on the filter, tell everyone it's the cold fusion plant for your flux capacitor.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    Better yet, paint em really industrial yellow, an put a big radiation symbol on the filter, tell everyone it's the cold fusion plant for your flux capacitor.
    Lershac, did you fall in your bathroom?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner