Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Electrical Issue

Electrical Issue

Installing a 17k gal fiberglass pool this summer. Power requirements will be for Intelliflo Pump and Chorinator, and LED light. Still undecided about wiring straight to panel or via Easytouch. Issue is I want to wire from a sub panel installed in detached garage (100amp box). Length of run is about 5 feet (sub panel is is on interior where pool pad will be). In the garage I have two post lift (30amp breaker), IR compressor (30 amp breaker) and 4 20 amp lighting/outlet circuits. I'm no electrician but I "think" I'll have a problem with adding an Easytouch and getting it inspected. Thoughts/suggestion? Help?
    N Virginia
    -Leisure Moroccan 38' Fiberglass
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -1 Skimmer/ 3 Returns/2 Drains/2" Piping
    -3 Fiberstar Pal Treo LED lights/Wirtran
    -TF100 TestKit

Re: Electrical Issue

It'll be ok. As long as you have two slots on your subpanel, put in a 60 amp breaker to feed the Easytouch, thats plenty out there at the pool. With a 100 amp subpanel, you have 24,000 watts (actually 21,600 if you de-rate 10%) to work with. The breakers dont add, its the watts you pull that count. As long as the total watts dont exceed ~22,000 or so, it's fine.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

You would need more amperage if you ever want to install a heat pump...just something to consider.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

I'm too cheap for a heater, just ask my wife!
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -TF100 TestKit

Senior Member In the Industry

Intelliflo pump = 16A max.
    Chlorinater = 2A
    Lights = <1A

All of the garage circuits are not continuous loads so you should be fine.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

Awesome! Thanks!
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit