Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Electrical Issue

Electrical Issue

Installing a 17k gal fiberglass pool this summer. Power requirements will be for Intelliflo Pump and Chorinator, and LED light. Still undecided about wiring straight to panel or via Easytouch. Issue is I want to wire from a sub panel installed in detached garage (100amp box). Length of run is about 5 feet (sub panel is is on interior where pool pad will be). In the garage I have two post lift (30amp breaker), IR compressor (30 amp breaker) and 4 20 amp lighting/outlet circuits. I'm no electrician but I "think" I'll have a problem with adding an Easytouch and getting it inspected. Thoughts/suggestion? Help?
    N Virginia
    -Leisure Moroccan 38' Fiberglass
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -1 Skimmer/ 3 Returns/2 Drains/2" Piping
    -3 Fiberstar Pal Treo LED lights/Wirtran
    -TF100 TestKit

Re: Electrical Issue

It'll be ok. As long as you have two slots on your subpanel, put in a 60 amp breaker to feed the Easytouch, thats plenty out there at the pool. With a 100 amp subpanel, you have 24,000 watts (actually 21,600 if you de-rate 10%) to work with. The breakers dont add, its the watts you pull that count. As long as the total watts dont exceed ~22,000 or so, it's fine.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

You would need more amperage if you ever want to install a heat pump...just something to consider.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

I'm too cheap for a heater, just ask my wife!
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -TF100 TestKit

Senior Member In the Industry

Intelliflo pump = 16A max.
    Chlorinater = 2A
    Lights = <1A

All of the garage circuits are not continuous loads so you should be fine.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

Awesome! Thanks!
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit