New PebbleSheen Install

Dec 2, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I had my pebblesheen installed at the end of December. I have two concerns. My first concern is that the pebble looks blotchy in areas. My PB told me that it will go away once the plaster cures. Is this true? Has anyone else noticed this with new pebble?

My second concern is: When we had our pool resurfaced, we also had the PB install a new baja shelf with an umbrella sleeve. The problem is, they forgot to put the umbrella sleeve in. Nobody noticed until after the water line was above the new shelf. They had to partially drain the pool to drill a hole for the umbrella sleeve. When they refilled the pool I noticed a white scale build up on the shelf from the water sitting on the shelf and drying (I'm assuming it is calcium...my CH is 275). I have scrubbed it with my brush and it is still there. How do I remove this stain? Do I have to drain my pool again? Can I just pour MA over it and scrub it? It is only about 2 feet deep in that area.

The pebblesheen finish is now a month old, so I doubt the blotchy areas will disappear, and may get worse. All types of plaster finishes can result in blotchy (or it is mottling?) areas. It depends on how severe it is. I suggest you record your tap water readings and the current pool water readings, and what has been added to the water since filling. You could also read the other recent threads on this Under Construction post for more information.

You could use a squeeze bottle with acid and a brush to remove the white scale, but probably should let the PB handle that.

I guess a better explanation of the "blotchy" areas would be areas where the pebble is not exposed as much. I have attached a photo. Notice in the bottom left and top right corners where the pebble is not exposed as much. This photo was taken before the pool was filled and after the acid wash so it was not caused by the pool chemistry.

Attachments

• pebble.JPG
    pebble.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 225
Okay, that picture helps a lot. Yes, unlikely water chemistry issues. There can be different areas that have a greater exposure of the pebbles, and other areas with more cement covering the pebble. That contrast is probably not going to change over time. You might discuss that with the PB. They could drain again and acid wash to try and help make the surface color more uniform. But they do have to be careful to not over do it, which can result in pebbles being removed.

A pole attach applicator would be a better solution. This tool allow acid or diluted acid to be siphoned and applied directly to the spot without draining the pool.

I have also used this tool with 12% chlorinating liquid to attack black algae spots.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.