Replace filters or change to sand filter

What makes you think they need replacing? Years? Do you use skimmer socks? I'd guess that using them would make any replacement based on years of use somewhat invalid.

Too fast a pressure rise after cleaning? How have you cleaned them? Does your water have high CH?

Where are you located? (please add that to your profile so we can see it when you post -- see bobo's above) If you are in arid areas subject to water restrictions then you may not want to waste water with frequent backwashing.

I replaced my carts just last year. Got a slightly cheaper brand and they are a smidge too small ID to fit on the cart holders correctly. Kinda wish I'd paid up and gotten original brand to replace. I was concerned about the broken bands on my carts, later read that this may not be all that important. Now I run the pool with skimmer socks in place at all times and the carts stay clean much longer.

Clayc

Have you been happy with your old filter? Are there some problems or issues you'd like to try and address/fix with a new filter? If not, I'd just stick with what you got.

Your current filter is pretty large, which is great! Finding a new sand filter of comparable size (especially with installation and new sand factored) is likely to be more than $300. Depending on what you like and don't like about your current filter, the differences may not be something you'll be happy with.

As far as the cost, I know there are a few companies that make less expense replacements (than OEM) and people here have reported they are happy with them. I don't have a cartridge filter, so I don't have any experience with these brands. However here is a link where some of these brands are discussed. http://www.troublefreepool.com/replacement-cartridge-filter-brand-reviews-t20193.html

Hopefully others who have bought the alternative brands will post and give you some input. anonapersona, what brand did you get?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.