Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Borates

In my second year of pool ownership, I've decided to add borates. I tested my fill water with the LaMotte borate test strips and it reads at 10PPM.

Question: Is it likely my fill has about 10PPM borates? Or is this a baseline for 0PPM?

I know this isn't "rocket science"...I just don't want to over do it.

Thanks,

Adam
    30'x14' (12.5K Gallon) Viking Carmel - Saphire Blue Crystite Finish
    Jandy Stealth Pump - 2 Speed 1.0 HP
    Jandy Cartridge Filter - 340 sq. ft.
    Fiberstars 6004 Metal Halide Light with 4-Position Color Wheel
    Polaris 280
    Maintained with BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Borates

Adam:
    My Lamote strips test tap water as no change. I don't have a 10ppm start, mine are a 15ppm start; Hach are the same, but appear to be dead.

In my case, before I started adding Borax, I had a residual of 8ppm (pool store report) which seemed to dovetail into what I put in, per the poolcalculator. I suspect the borates came from some mystical treatment I was sold, most likely from the Pool Perfect - Natural Chemistry line.

I would just plug your reading into Jason's calculator and go with that. If you come up short, it is easier to add more borax than it is to dump water.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

3. Back To Top    #3

I added borates using 20 mule team borax. It's easier to use boric acid.
    calculating-the-price-to-add-borates-t30644.html?hilit=boric
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Buford
    Adam:
    I suspect the borates came from some mystical treatment I was sold, most likely from the Pool Perfect - Natural Chemistry line.
    Thanks for the confirmation...my expectation was my initial test would come back with 0PPM. I've only used BBB...wait, I wonder if my builder added a product with borates at start up?

Regardless, your advise makes sense. Use my test results with Jason's Pool Calculator...and proceed with caution.

Have to mention, I was kind of disappointed I didn't get strange looks with 10 boxes of Borax at check out I had a great one-liner ready!

Adam
    30'x14' (12.5K Gallon) Viking Carmel - Saphire Blue Crystite Finish
    Jandy Stealth Pump - 2 Speed 1.0 HP
    Jandy Cartridge Filter - 340 sq. ft.
    Fiberstars 6004 Metal Halide Light with 4-Position Color Wheel
    Polaris 280
    Maintained with BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

I will be going with borates also, but acid route. I checked all over central PA for boric acid and nothing. No ag center or anywhere. Guess online is it for options. Thanks for links in other threads!

6. Back To Top    #6

I picked up a line here(sorry I can't give credit to the creator of the line), then when the clerk at Walmart wanted to know why I had so much bleach and borax, I used it "Oh, it's great for cleaning up blood stains around the house" Before I got out of the store, I was talking to the manager, who actually had as warped sense of humor as I do. The clerk's look was priceless.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber