Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water on cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Water on cover

Hello everyone!

I covered my pool yesterday for the first time and this is the first time I have ever used a pool cover.... (Still new pool owner)

Today i have 6-8 inches of water on the pool cover. Do pool covers let water through them and do they have to be regularly pumped out?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water on cover

What kind of cover do you have?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like you have a solid cover since you have 8in of water on top of the cover. Some covers are mesh. My solid cover came with a "Rule Pool Cover Pump" that keeps the pool cover dry and it works well. It auto cycles and stays running if it senses water in the pump suction. Attached is a source on Amazon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

4. Back To Top    #4

It is a solid cover which i brought on ebay. I didnt know that even solid covers have to be pumped out!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

Unless you have had that much rain, which I doubt, you have a leak in the cover.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I will pump it out and see if it fills up again... it might have been when the pool pump came on, it poured water onto it from the spa's overflow...

Thanks for all the help!
    Suley, West Hills, CA

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Suley
    I will pump it out and see if it fills up again... it might have been when the pool pump came on, it poured water onto it from the spa's overflow...

Thanks for all the help!
    Ah! Pump back into the pool under the cover when you do.
    TFP Moderator