Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC(?) reducer fitment issue

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC(?) reducer fitment issue

Don't search my old threads to see how long I've meant to do this.

The fitting on the side of our pool...

used to be plumbed for a pressure cleaner. I'm changing it from the below to a 1.5" at pool to 2" to the filter so it can be used for vaccuumw/ a baracuda.

I assembled a 45, a bit of pipe, a 90 and a 2 to 1.5 reducer.

But the reducer wouldn't go over the 1.5 coming out of the side of the pool.

I sanded the i.d. of the reducer probably 50 htousandths of an inch until it would. Now that's not normal, certainly.

Is it possible the pipe out of the pool is ABS or something that won't seal w/ Red-Hot glue to the PVC reducer?

(yes, I only post up w/ odd questions; sorry)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 US Gallon Oval with diving well but no board :( Hayward s244t2 & Multiport SP71621
    1hp AO Smith WhisperFlo pump / basket Part 7-177450-03 / 3 returns, well drain connected to jacuzzi overflow
    baracuda version 3 run to the overflow; side hookup add in process.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC(?) reducer fitment issue

Can you give us a pic of the pool side fitting?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

anyone else: "My waterproof camera's battery is dead, my flashlight isn't bright enough, it's dark out and the water's all too Arctic."

me: Sure, in a brief while.
    20,000 US Gallon Oval with diving well but no board :( Hayward s244t2 & Multiport SP71621
    1hp AO Smith WhisperFlo pump / basket Part 7-177450-03 / 3 returns, well drain connected to jacuzzi overflow

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, these are aged but accurate pics.
    Without and with a 1.5" threaded plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, the local pool supply store staff seems to think based on my email of pics that the pipe is standard PVC and I may proceed.

My only regret (outside of dragging time on this project) is I didn't go with sweep 90 and sweep 45 pieces. So be it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok well I am a little confused then. You have fitting inside pool already. You mean outside the pool then?

That does look like standard PVC. Sanding it a little won't hurt at all. Probably some imperfection. Go for it. Since its vac, there is no real pressure
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't know that I would restrict it down to 3/4 though without a leaf canister or something, you are asking for a clog.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I dont think a suction side cleaner would work with 3/4" maybe not even a pressure side one.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

9. Back To Top    #9

I think the OP is replacing the 3/4" line with a 2" and is having trouble with the 2" -> 1 1/2" coupler to attach to the 1 1/2" pipe that's coming out of the pool
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner