Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hairline cracks in skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

hairline cracks in skimmers

I was just doing a mid-winter check of my skimmers and discovered several hairline cracks in them - very disappointing as they were just installed summer before last as part of a major remodel. I've always been careful to put a Gizmo in each skimmer when I winterize, and this winter they were nearly dry when I checked them because we have had very little precipitation. So what happened, and what should I do about it?
    25K gal gunite pool with Auto Cover and Meyco mesh winter cover. Pump and filter in underground vault below level of returns. New Pebble Fina plaster in 7/2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hairline cracks in skimmers

Are the cracks leaking or just cosmetic? If they're leaking and you had a contractor replace them check the warranty before you attempt any repairs.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: hairline cracks in skimmers

Not sure if they are leaking or not as there is no water in them now and probably won't be until I open the pool in April. Nevertheless I will check with the contractor to see what he has to say.
    25K gal gunite pool with Auto Cover and Meyco mesh winter cover. Pump and filter in underground vault below level of returns. New Pebble Fina plaster in 7/2010.