Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump strainer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump strainer question

I just finished my build.... I have a 1hp pentair... I see tiny air bubbles coming from the returns.... But the pump never loses prime... Should the strainer basket on the pump be full of water? I can see water sloshing around through the clear lid... Should there be air in there? Or should it be so full you can only see "still" water....
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump strainer question

In my experience once the pump primes and runs for 10 min, I have zero air (sometimes a small 2cm bubble) and it stays that way until I break vacuum on the plumbing (after the pump is off).

You have an air leak if you constantly have a significant amt of air in the pump basket.

A common place is the pump basket lid o-ring. Inspect and generously lube. After that run water over each PVC joint for about 5 minto see if air moves out of the basket.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Goodness, you did a DIY build in a month? Sure would like to see some pics of that. That's insane bordering on incredible.

Congrats!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

4. Back To Top    #4

Haha... Thanks!! And I did everything by myself!! Except the dig...
    Anyway... Wouldn't I lose suction if in sucking air?
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends on how much air! If the leak is relatively small you see what you have.