Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing inground pool back fill with gravel or dirt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing inground pool back fill with gravel or dirt?

We are going to be installing a new inground pool (rectangle) I have 2 pool contractors that I have narrowed it down to. One recommends back filling with dirt and a french drain around the pool. The other recommends back filling with gravel and french drain. Until a friend of mine told me about this website. I was going nutz just trying to find out the better option. Please help

Thanks
    Wheelman
    Simply, we find, hire and train the most talented individuals possible and we work hard to keep them.
    Autoform

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing inground pool back fill with gravel or dirt?

I live in central Pennsylvania i forgot to add that.

Thanks
    Wheelman
    Simply, we find, hire and train the most talented individuals possible and we work hard to keep them.
    Autoform

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

That's a pretty easy one. Gravel....no doubt.

Dirt will settle, gravel wont.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Wheelman, I am in south central Pa. Would you mind telling me who is your PB? I have two quotes so far. One backfills with gravel (the one I am leaning towards) and the other with dirt. I would like at least one more quote to compare before I decide on who to go with. So far I am leaning towards the owner-operated PB and not the 'big box' salesman one. Just curious as to who you are working with and if you are happy with your choice so far.

Thanks!
    16 x 32 vinyl In-ground Lagoon; Shallow pool 3' to 5'; Buddy Seat; IntelliBrite 5g LED; Pool Pilor Digital SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320; Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS; Pentair Sand Shark. My Construction Thread - Spring 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

Where at in south central pa? I have been working Fagnanos, and Fire and water
    Autoform

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for getting back to me. I am in Lancaster county - a bit too out of the way for fagano's as I want someone more local to me. Have you started to dig? Would love to see pics when you get started.
    16 x 32 vinyl In-ground Lagoon; Shallow pool 3' to 5'; Buddy Seat; IntelliBrite 5g LED; Pool Pilor Digital SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320; Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS; Pentair Sand Shark. My Construction Thread - Spring 2012

7. Back To Top    #7

No they are starting the 1st week of june, i am putting in a 16x32 rectangle with 8' walk in steps and a salt systyem.
    Autoform

8. Back To Top    #8

We are considering a 16x32 kidney shape with a SWG, not quite sure yet what size or type of steps.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thats cool I have heard nothing but positive things on SWG, we did have an above ground pool with chlorine.
    Autoform