Build vs. Buy

SD_Ken

Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

I'm new to the group, but I must say that the BBQ Island builds I've seen here have inspired me to at least consider building one for myself. I've looked at several of the pre-built options (Bull BBQ etc.), and it looks like the going price for a reasonably sized BBQ island with room for some bar type seating runs around $6-7K. I've also had some contractors quote me prices to build a custom island (cinder block and stucco), and their prices are even higher.

It seems to me that I should be able to build one for much cheaper using steel studs, concrete board, etc.

For those of you that did your own build - did it work out to be significantly cheaper than if you'd bought it? Were there any elements that you contracted out (i.e. concrete counter tops?). Were there any parts of the build that surprised you (either from a cost or a complexity perspective)? Was it difficult to acquire the materials/parts?

Thanks for any advice/input.

Ken

I too wanted to build my own summer kitchen, however we went with a prebuilt one. If you have a show room close by you should go by and negiotate the price. We got more than a 50% discount off the list price so it was a no brainer to go with a prebuilt one. Look at the thread in my sig. Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

I think you could save quite a bit if you build it yourself. My outdoor kitchen cost me about $5500, including all of my grilling equipment (egg, grill, side burner), beverage center, trash, sink, doors, pergola, lighting, stools, etc. It was a large kitchen though and a comparable pre-built or custom built would have been at least $15,000 (at least that is what I like to tell myself :lol: )

I did all of the work myself though, and I won't lie to you, it was a lot of work. I enjoyed it though and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you would like some assistance with some ball park pricing then post a sketch and I can help you get an idea of what it should cost.

Riles

I've looked @ several of the pre built units and most of them are ****. Constructed of ****, finished with **** and look like they wont last 2 years. I'm a gen. contractor and I built my own for next to nothing. The granite was expensive, but everything else was cheap. Pressure traeted framing, Durock covered w/stucco with granite tops. Whole thing cost me under $3000.00 including the grill.

Edit: Sorry, didn't know you couldn't say **** on this forum.

You are responding to posts that are over 2 years old. Please check the dates. Thanks, jblizzle

Bob -
I agree with you ... I am not a contractor -just a cheap *** :D that likes to DYI ! I have a post regarding tile counter tops that if at all possible - please take a look at and let me know what you think.

Thanks - WHesser

You are responding to posts that are over 2 years old. Please check the dates. Thanks, jblizzle

Ken -

If you like to DYI AND have the time ... then DYI. I am currently at the framing stage (see prev posts and pics). I "envision" a pretty nice L shaped 6x7' island with bar counter on the long L. I am using my current grill as set in to save some up front $ (I am cheap - don't mind Saying) and if I can do something myself -- why pay someone ?? I originally thought I could do it for $1K but I underestimated the cost of SS drawers and doors so now I am looking at 1.5K - 2K - including electrical. Not doing any plumbing or gas. Working on cut-outs and to me so far - that is the hardest part. However - built everything myself based on the BBQ coach module system and pleased so far. A lot of good info and pics in this forum and many folks like to help --- it's a MAN thing! Good luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.