Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness in Fiberglass SWG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness in Fiberglass SWG Pool

What is the purpose of CH in a fiberglass SWG pool? What is the recommended level for my pool?

Thanks for your help!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Calcium Hardness in Fiberglass SWG Pool

Some manufacturers want it to protect the gel coat. I have never seen any reason other than sympathy for the chem companies though. As long as the basics are covered, care is the same as for a liner pool.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Some gel coats have calcium carbonate filler so to be safe we recommend the same CH levels as for plaster pools. If you know that your gel coat is not made with a calcium carbonate filler or backing, then the CH level could be set to that similar to vinyl pools (i.e. doesn't need to be as high).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I usually maintain above 250ppm CH in Fiberglass pools, and above 200ppm CH in concrete pools. That won't hurt anything.