hpt tub flo/ heater problem..need some helpfull advise and

Jan 27, 2012
i have a 2000 seven seas hot tub..this past fall i put a new element in and no fix. so then pulled the heater probe out of the back side of heater tube and let sit in open air and later it seemed to work fine...then slid it back onto the heater tube and it seemed to work for months..now i go to use and it was 50 degrees and so i shut power off to tub and turned back on after a hr and then it said flo and i go out later that day and it is running(was running b 4 but no heat) but still no heat light and no warmer..it is circulating but no heat indication on topside controll and still cold.....what would b the next steps to do or check????? and or do you need any more specific info..i may have left something out but?? need assistance thanks!!!!!!!

Re: hpt tub flo/ heater problem..need some helpfull advise a

it did says flo currently reads 50 degrees.. it has a spa pack and circut boards ....what or where should i check first???? i will do my best to answer any questions in getting me closer to fixing..not very elect knowledgeable but will try my best to test anything needed,thanks in advance

Flo indicates the flow switch is either sensing a poor flow or its broken.

Try pulling the cartridges out. If that clears the FLO error and the tub starts heating, clean your cartridges.

Scott

update.....i did check the flow switch..and i believe it wasnt breaking contact..so i was able to take the microswitch out of the housing..and picked up a diff microswitch.however the switch was slightly different in size so i just threadded the old housing into the flow tube and then seperatley hooked up the new switch to the wires and when i depressed the contact on switch the heat light came on and seemed to work...so will get a new housing and switch on monday when store is open...but i did go out this am to check on it and again it said flo??? so i checked to seee if the switch had moved (as i only had it setting on something to keep it depressed) and it hadnt..so i took the pressure of the switch for a few seconds and the circulating pump came on and flo reading was gone..so depressed the contact again and heat light came on and so far is still working..so im a little confused on how this works???? more insight is needed on this situation..thanks in advance for any help i recieve..

If your flow switch isn't switching, there are 2 possibilities. Either the switch is defective, or there really isn't enough flow to trip it.

If it is the switch, then certainly replacing it should fix the problem. If it is actually impeded flow, then you will need to investigate the system for restrictions and blockages.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

PoolGuyNJ said:
Or the cartridges are dirty.

Scott
no filters in it ...while i have the microswitch hooked up sep for now, the circ pump is going and no heat,when i have the switch depressed it heats and after awhile it goes to flo and stops..but maybe beacuse i dont have the switch hooked up in the flowswitch housing ?

what does the switch look like? in housing or not, the board doesnt know so thats not it. are u sure its a flow switch? or a pressure switch? a pic or good description would help

well ill try to get a pic and post..its kind of small..it aeems like it has a round threadded end on it that screws into the heater element pass through tube and has 2 wires that plug into the end of it..and also has a black wheel in the center of it that u can turn clockwise or counter to (i wouold think allow the small plunger that is in the housing to touch the spring contact) easier or sooner i guess. i thought it was a flow switch..ill try and look them up and see what it is for sure..now u have me wondering....?? i just know for now that if i depress the spring tab on the microswitch it kicks the heater on..(kep in mind it is sitting off to the side and not in the housing where it could make contact with the small plunger like thing .. and circulates...but if i take the pressure off the spring contact on microswitch it circulates but no heat...and circulates continously..and usually dosent all the time just 2-3 times a day..

well now i look stupid........ i looked up pressure switch for tubs and yep they look identical to what i was calling a flow switch....so does that change anybodys advise they were giving me?????? help me out..i dont see any other type of switches or anything in the plumbing lines..thanks and sorry for the misleading part name!

ok. follow this sequence: turn breaker off, unplug the 2 wires from the pressure switch, turn the breaker on, hit temp button immediately, wait 30 seconds, then join the 2 wires from the switch together. if the heater kicks on, then its the switch. the problem you are having right now is that the system checks to see that the switch has not been bypassed upon startup, if you join tyhe wires or make the switch before you power up, it will do nothing about heating.

We have a Melbourne spa 10 jets with a hayward heater. We have had it for almost 6 yrs, seems every year we have had an issue when opening the pool and spa. The 2 speed pump was replaced 2 years ago and the spa operated normally for that season. Elements have been replaced previously as well with normal operation for a season. This year it is not heating. We replaced the elements, contactor and pressure switch but it's still not heating. After replacing the elements first which were bad (corroded and separated), the thermostat was clicking on and off as the knob was turned, seemingly trying to cycle on and off, but it was not heating. The contactor and pressure switch were then replaced, but now the thermostat is not clicking as the knob is rotated and still no heat. That only leaves the thermostatic relay and one other part with the reset switch and the entire internal workings of the hayward box would have been replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.